Illegal for the Underaged to Listen to a Pipe Smoking Discussion?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrichman

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2017
Little Rock, AR
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Does anyone know of a state or national law that forbids the underaged from listening to, say, a podcast about pipe smoking? I've heard word to that effect, but I have hard time believing it. (How would it be enforced and wouldn't a warning actually be an enticement?) Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: lukasstrifeson

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If you found a kid willing to listen to a podcast about piping....they should be watched carefully. :oops:

Don’t get me wrong, I like all things pipe related and find the stories and personalities in piping fascinating and intriguing; but to someone under 18 or 21 of this modern world, I doubt you could force them to listen at gun point.

I know I just crossed some line...”these kids today...” and I’m not even 50 for another 7 months. ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My grandfather smoked a pipe; my father smoked a pipe from about age 15; I smoke a pipe (granted with some years off). As a minor, I wouldn't have had patience with listening to an audio track (no podcasts then) about it, even if I were pipe smoking at the time. This would be like a law forbidding three-year-olds doing calculus. It could happen; it probably does in rare cases with prodigies. But a law against it. Yawn, snore.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
YouTube is that way, I won’t sign just up to listen. Do not know about podcasts, the PM radio show is all I listen too and that from the embedded link.

Reactions: BROBS

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
There are no laws regarding what can be heard in the US. The laws pertaining to free speech have certain restrictions on hate speech, commercial speech, obscenity, etc., but the prohibition is on the speech - e.g. the speaker and not on the listener. As suggested it would be impossible to prohibit people from hearing something that is said. Granted, there’s a difference between listening and hearing, and certainly upon seeking out the speech with an intent to hear it, but honestly if somebody rings a bell within your hearing range you will hear it. You needn’t be listening or have sought it out, so it would be impossible for you to be punished for something out of your control.

What is possible is to regulate certain venues by age restrictions, under the guise of not regulating content, and you see this in adult sites, etc.

Anyway, just my two cents worth.

Reactions: Bengel

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Brian starts most podcasts by saying that, but I suspect it's not an actual law.
Unfortunately we have many laws where little was thought about who/how it was to be enforced. In Maryland, you can't smoke in most public buildings, but it is a law for employee welfare, so the Police won't enforce it. The sheeple, er, people just obey it. I'm sure there were exceptions early on when it was passsed. We have a restaurant five miles from the PA and WV borders, on I-81. In the first few years, when neither PA or WV had similar laws, travelers were always smoking and had no clue about the new state law.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
If you found a kid willing to listen to a podcast about piping....they should be watched carefully. :oops:

Don’t get me wrong, I like all things pipe related and find the stories and personalities in piping fascinating and intriguing; but to someone under 18 or 21 of this modern world, I doubt you could force them to listen at gun point.

I know I just crossed some line...”these kids today...” and I’m not even 50 for another 7 months. ;)
I'm 31 and I say that. I don't like 80 percent of people my age. With that being said the boomers piss me off too lol. I guess I don't like anybody haha.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I've heard these warnings on podcasts, and best guess is that there is a remote risk that someone could construe the podcast as "marketing," especially for someone like Country Squire. Marketing tobacco to underage people is generally illegal. The warning could serve as the equivalent of a "click here if you are 21 or over" on a website.

Reactions: Bengel
Status
Not open for further replies.