I'll Stick to Pete's and Savinelli from Now On...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
See all those dark areas? Is that what a fill would look like? Those are the exact areas where the finish bubbled.
This is just the nature of the grain on Briar. A factory fill would typically be pretty obvious(usually a small pit), as the fillers rarely match the briar exactly, and they don't absorb stain at the same rate.
I have had this finish bubbling on a variety of low end pipes, particularly recent production Grabows, where they are in a rush and lacquer over stain that hasn't fully evaporated(as previously stated). I guess this could also be a result of the heat of smoking driving moisture in briar to the surface that hasn't been cured sufficiently enough, or air bubbles in lacquer.

I think your pipe looks better now than it did before :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree this is an improvement. You've given it an artisan touch. Now that you have a French pipe that you like better, I'll say a few good things about French pipes. The French pipe industry brought briar to the fore and made it the most popular tobacco pipe material. They came up with the shapes and designs many of which are now part of the classic English pipe tradition. And pipe makers in St. Claude and other places in France developed a refined but highly competitive pipe industry that usually produces outstanding designs with good quality, at notably low prices. I like my BC, Chacom, Genod, Ropp, and other French pipes well. I've never drawn a stinker.

lsnadon

Lurker
Mar 27, 2021
Cheyenne
www.reallycooldude.com
I sent them them an email with the pic. I fully expect that they will make it right - I have no reason to beleive otherwise....
Just for gee-whiz, I was less than satisfied with the process from the seller. It certainly was not what I expected from a well known online retailer. I may have to reconsider future purchases - I wish I had a local shop I could go to.....

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Just for gee-whiz, I was less than satisfied with the process from the seller. It certainly was not what I expected from a well known online retailer. I may have to reconsider future purchases - I wish I had a local shop I could go to.....

Yeah, I hate that feeling. Hopefully you will now enjoy your pipe in spite of that experience.

Reactions: OzPiper

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I think I will enjoy it way more this way actually. I have a personal investment in it now.

I know! That’s a whole new adventure. Enjoy it in good health! You might consider picking up some unfinished pipes. I think Savinelli series III has been mentioned here a few times. There are a couple of threads where people did their owns rustications which came out great! Others just enjoy watching their unfinished pipes patinate over the years. And they’re usually great prices too.

Reactions: fireground_piper

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
When this happens, it's super annoying when the retailer isn't willing to do anything for you(I can probably guess who it is). I miss the good ol' days when default customer service response wasn't "blame the customer".
As I said before, I have had this happen, and contacted the manufacturer. The response is always "YOU were smoking too hot". I was smoking Carter Hall in an air conditioned room.. I was Buddha on quaaludes until this thing erupted into blisters in my hand.. :D

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Aug 1, 2012
This same thing happened with both Petes and Savs over the years. A bit of research will turn up dozens of threads on both. The darkened area after finish removal leads me to believe that it was either smoked hot or contains a void/burnout area in the briar.

Of course you probably killed any chance of the retailer taking it back by modifying the pipe.

The thread is also in mild violation of rule 12.

Reactions: kcghost

lsnadon

Lurker
Mar 27, 2021
Cheyenne
www.reallycooldude.com
This same thing happened with both Petes and Savs over the years. A bit of research will turn up dozens of threads on both. The darkened area after finish removal leads me to believe that it was either smoked hot or contains a void/burnout area in the briar.

Of course you probably killed any chance of the retailer taking it back by modifying the pipe.

The thread is also in mild violation of rule 12.
Thank you for reminding me of rule 12. It slipped my mind when I made the post.

However, it was never my intention to complain and I hope it did not come across that way. This was the first pipe I have had this happen to, of the 30 I have in my small collection. My intent was to only ask about this issue and gain knowledge on what may have caused such an immediate deterioration of the external finish. Using the knowledge I gained, I was able to see that the interior of the chamber was indeed developing a charred spot, which I was able to hopefully correct with my reamer. So far, it is doing fine.

I was also able to gain knowledge about refinishing the exterior, which I used to create a presentable pipe.

Even though I overlooked rule 12 potentially, it was also never my intention to call out any reseller - that is why I never mentioned one by name If the reseller had given me an opportunity to state my purpose for contacting them, I would have informed them that I do not want a replacement/refund/credit (they failed on allowing me to address any reason for contacting them and the messages we had back and forth will remain within my confidence). My only intention with contacting the reseller was too advise them off the situation so that they may alert the maker, especially if they have, or will receive, other comments or concerns on this particular pipe. I refinished it for my use and satisfaction - I never implied that I wanted a refund or replacement of any sort. Any modifications I did make to the pipe were after the reseller made their customer service and warranty process apparent, just in case I was to change my mind with my predetermined outcome of the use of the pipe.

Aug 1, 2012
Thank you for reminding me of rule 12. It slipped my mind when I made the post.

However, it was never my intention to complain and I hope it did not come across that way. This was the first pipe I have had this happen to, of the 30 I have in my small collection. My intent was to only ask about this issue and gain knowledge on what may have caused such an immediate deterioration of the external finish. Using the knowledge I gained, I was able to see that the interior of the chamber was indeed developing a charred spot, which I was able to hopefully correct with my reamer. So far, it is doing fine.

I was also able to gain knowledge about refinishing the exterior, which I used to create a presentable pipe.

Even though I overlooked rule 12 potentially, it was also never my intention to call out any reseller - that is why I never mentioned one by name If the reseller had given me an opportunity to state my purpose for contacting them, I would have informed them that I do not want a replacement/refund/credit (they failed on allowing me to address any reason for contacting them and the messages we had back and forth will remain within my confidence). My only intention with contacting the reseller was too advise them off the situation so that they may alert the maker, especially if they have, or will receive, other comments or concerns on this particular pipe. I refinished it for my use and satisfaction - I never implied that I wanted a refund or replacement of any sort. Any modifications I did make to the pipe were after the reseller made their customer service and warranty process apparent, just in case I was to change my mind with my predetermined outcome of the use of the pipe.
No worries, I was just pointing it out and as I wrote, it seemed mild. All good.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
See all those dark areas? Is that what a fill would look like? Those are the exact areas where the finish bubbled.
I don’t see any fills, but if it was in those dark areas that it bubbled, it seems to me that the briar might’ve still had some high moisture content in those areas. Probably could’ve used a longer curing. The moisture probably steamed out when it got hot, and bubbled the finish. Just my guess. Hard to say by just looking at a picture.