PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I knew there was some reason I didn't go back to Illinois where I grew up. I saw that fifty years later tobacco prices would be absurd. Still worse in Europe, etc. etc.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Net population loss in many states, actually, is 100% real: "Twenty-seven states and the District of Columbia lost population through net domestic migration between 2018 and 2019, six of which had losses over 25,000, and three of which experienced losses greater than 100,000. The top states with net domestic migration loss were California (-203,414), New York (-180,649), Illinois (-104,986), New Jersey (-48,946), Massachusetts (-30,274) and Louisiana (-26,045)."

LINK: Population Estimates Continue to Show the Nation’s Growth Is Slowing - https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2019/popest-nation.html

Although CA has lost twice as many people between 2018 and 2019 as has IL, CA has 3x's the population of IL, so proportionally IL is winning the game...doh! Not new news, though. It's been going on for a while, and states like FL and TX are the biggest recipients of these people fleeing the taxes, and at least in IL's case, the weather. Pundits have been pondering what will happen politically to these states, because the transplants often arrive and continue to vote in favor of the same issues/policies that led to the reasons why they just left their old home-states...so FL and TX might be getting a mixed blessing while growing their tax bases.

Reactions: brian64 and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.