PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
In my quest to acquire more pencil shanked pipes, I found this lovely little number at smokingpipes.com and immediately put it on layaway.
Details can be viewed: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/duca/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=201121
Sizewise, it's pretty ideal for me. It has injected a splash of color in to my collection that was missing..red!

The sandblast finish here is deep and craggy, very organic. The red is similar to the classic brick-red, burnt and earthy, with streaks of black throughout. The brindle stem is the perfect compliment.

Speaking of the stem, this one has a defined feel in the mouth, unique and different than any other I've felt. The button is very round and convex at the end which is strikingly noticeable while smoking.

This piqued my interest and I began comparing it close up to other stems in my collection. Very interesting the way different makers finish buttons, and what a difference any slight change in shape makes.
Overall, very pleased with this pipe purchase. Max is a maker I must keep my eyes on.
qPp8EKx.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Duca pipes are so good. That is a great example. Congrats.
In other news: smokingpipes does layaway? I am so screwed now.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That's a great looking pipe!.....

The more I see these pencil shank beauties, the more my PAD starts kicking in...........

Enjoy that one!......... :puffy:

Nice Toms too........... 8)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A beauty indeed. Reminds me of the Scottie Piersal I got in Las Vegas.
Is- or how is- the shank fortified? The Piersal has a stainless steel tube inserted.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
My Scottie (all "Scotties") has the ss tube.

This Il Duca isn't quite as lithe as my Piersel..it's just straight briar. Seems perfectly sound.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Monk..I think you'll really enjoy this configuration from Max. So far it has proven to be a superlative smoker.
Also, I've been eyeballing Gian Maria Gamboni for a while..almost ready to pull the trigger on one of his.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I'm a fan of Il Duca. My pipes both have the same style button though neither seems as prominent as in your photo. Both are tapered and are amongst the most comfortable in my collection. He does a really great job in finishing stems. I also like how he drills the airway into the center of the bowl.
Anyway, I have a Gamboni Bodog that is amongst my favorite pipes. Would highly recommend his pipes. Both of these guys have a similar approach to staining which reminds me of leather rather than wood. Great pipes all around and a really nice change from the bog-standard italian school (which I also like).

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I think the leather comparison is good.
I love many American, British, and Danish pipes and pipemakers...but I always come back to the Italians (and 1 Greek).

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Chris, I've had my eye on Penzo pipes for a while now. I like his paneled pipes in particular. I don't own any but I would if he chamfered tenons.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Max makes awesome pipes. Congrats!! If you like that style Italian pipe be sure to check out Regina Scarlatta pipes. They are AMAZING and very well priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.