If You Love Plum Pudding You'll Also Love.... ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicagopiper74

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2019
Illinois
Looking for suggestions here. PP seems to not fit too neatly in any "traditional" categories for me - Its classified as a balkan but I'm sure that's because there isn't a proper "kitchen sink" category, what with pretty much every tobacco know to man thrown in there.

I've tried Both PP (excellent) and PP special Reserve (even better) and now the Bourbon Barrel (also amazing). So where to go from here?

Best,
G

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nothing is quite like PP, but if you like that you would probably like “aromatic english” blends such as sutliff’s aromatic english, burma road, or count pulaski, or The Country Squires Hunting Creek or Northwest Trek. And of course Frog Morton cellar if you can get your paws on some without going bankrupt.

CD Black Frigate may be to your liking as well. Watch City Ahab’s Comfort is another one that may scratch the itch.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
It's definitely hard to classify. I've been going through an 8oz tub of it after figuring out that it's more than just a tater blend.

What aspect of it is most appealing to you? Might be able to suss it out that way.

Reactions: ofafeather

chicagopiper74

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2019
Illinois
It's definitely hard to classify. I've been going through an 8oz tub of it after figuring out that it's more than just a tater blend.

What aspect of it is most appealing to you? Might be able to suss it out that way.

Great question - My palate is not super sophisticated, but all I can say I like the way it tastes, particularly in the first half of the bowl. Pleasant cool creamy flavor with smoky richness. That's as good as I can describe it. Not much to go on, but there it is...

Best,
G

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Well it's hard to beat the thin ribbon you get with Arango/Stokkebye Balkan Supreme. Spicier and mustier than I recall PP being but wonderful. I don't think it's as Latakia heavy as PP but Pease's Blackpoint is a great Latakia and Perique tobacco and is an easy ribbon too and plenty full in flavor overall

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Nothing is quite like PP, but if you like that you would probably like “aromatic english” blends such as sutliff’s aromatic english, burma road, or count pulaski, or The Country Squires Hunting Creek or Northwest Trek. And of course Frog Morton cellar if you can get your paws on some without going bankrupt.

CD Black Frigate may be to your liking as well. Watch City Ahab’s Comfort is another one that may scratch the itch.
Count Pulaski is one of my favourite blends.
By the pound it's also good value.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Great question - My palate is not super sophisticated, but all I can say I like the way it tastes, particularly in the first half of the bowl. Pleasant cool creamy flavor with smoky richness. That's as good as I can describe it. Not much to go on, but there it is...

Best,
G

You probably like English blends with black cavendish. That's one place to start. Check tobacco reviews and advanced search for english and balkan blends that include cavendish. Do a few searches - try looking for cavendish + perique, or cavendish + kentucky. My other gut reaction is to recommend trying Rattray's Black Mallory.

Thepipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2020
WV
I haven't had it, but many compare it to Bengal Slices. I would also recommend GL Pease Maltese Falcon. It is ribbon cut instead of crumble cake, but it is similair to Plum Pudding.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Consider trying more SPC blends. You can, for example, go deep on Mississippi River. There's a lot of interesting flavors going on there and like PP there are several versions of it.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I second the Potlatch recommendation. Plum Pudding was the first blend of SPC I tried. I've tried Potlatch and really like it. Deception Pass is good too but not similar. There are still some more SPC blends I'd like to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.