If You Like Bluegrass, Click This Link (Too Complicated to Explain in a Thread Header)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Well, this isn't exactly the bluegrass I grew up with and unfortunately I have an intense dislike of progressive bluegrass. All I had to do was look at the first band: a guy was playing a saxophone for Christ's sake. There are no horns in bluegrass!!
Yeah, I’m picking up what you’re putting down, I’m in the old school camp (over 50). But I think you get thrown a little when it’s all grouped into one genre. If somebody took me to a concert telling me it was Bluegrass and it was The Dead South playing, I would be initially a little miffed! But hey, I love bands like The Dead South but don’t just call it Bluegrass. It’s like calling The Ramones and the Clash “ easy listening” rock:LOL:. Did enjoy the link in its own right once I got a grip on it!

Reactions: kcghost

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Well, this isn't exactly the bluegrass I grew up with and unfortunately I have an intense dislike of progressive bluegrass. All I had to do was look at the first band: a guy was playing a saxophone for Christ's sake. There are no horns in bluegrass!!
Traditional Bluegrass is definitely tightly defined, and this isn't it. The Winfield festival has become more Dawg Music oriented (David Grisman) and "Newgrass-y" since it started in the early 70's.

Interesting trivia: The Winfield festival was originally conceived by Stuart Mossman, a guitar builder who'd set up shop in Winfield, and was intent on beating C. F. Martin at their own game. The festival was a pre-social-media era attempt at publicity for his brand.

His shop was completely destroyed by fire not long after, and Mossman Guitars disappeared, but the festival lived on.

Interesting SUB trivia: the winner of the flat picking contest at that first festival? Mark O'Connor... when he was only 13 years old.

Reactions: kurtbob

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Good music, my perspective is coming from a Cajun who plays old Cajun and shudders sometimes when the youngens Jazz it up. Listened to a smattering of it, and it’s fine music, Blue Grass EH!Does that make it bad Hell No, Music has to progress, unfortunately Old Shits like us don’t. hahau
I'm with you. When I drive across the middle of Louisiana, I also find one of the radio stations playing Cajun Music. My father was from the Bayou Sorrel, Bayou Pigeon area and when we lived in Plaquemine during my younger days, our Sunday afternoons would be spent at one of the clubs playing good Cajun music and serving garfish balls in brown gravy.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.