If You Haven't Tried Chatham Manor, Are You Even A Piper?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I ordered some Chatham Manor the middle of this summer (which just ended yesterday). I decided to load up a Joura I've been trying to break in with the blend, which has about a .90 chamber diameter in which no other blend seems to taste good, and the pipe always seems to get hot within seconds. It has been frustrating.

For whatever reason, the Chatham Manor lit up, and smoked cool in the Joura. The taste was absolute perfection for a burley blend, and I don't even prefer burley blends. It is just a pure, smooth, creamy tobacco taste and aroma, with notes of chocolate, nuttiness, and perhaps an ever-so-slight touch of whiskey. This is a blend that should be used as a standard for what pipe tobacco should be. If you look up "pipe tobacco" there should be a photo of a tub of Chatham Manor right there front and center.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the Hearth and Home Midtown series, my favorite so far is Chestnut, about six tobaccos successfully conjoined. I keep a jar of Chatham Manor, enjoy it, but find it a tad too sweet, but good in a cob from time to time. For innovation and variety in burley blends, either burley as a base or burley as a condiment, I find C&D the current leader, the whole line, but especially the original versions of Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, and many others. But the good old codger blends and many of their match blends are perennial dependable leaf. Keep on enjoying that Chatham Manor; it works for the ease of the pipe smoker, to paraphrase an editor about good writing.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I prefer tobacco that contains nicotine. That’s just me though.

That is one downside, and a downside of McClelland blends as well.

I'd rather smoke Carter Hall. I can't put my finger on it, but Chatham Manor just doesn't work for me. To my tastes CM doesn't taste anything like CH. I put it in jars to revisit later. Afterall, tastes do change.

I couldn't get into Carter Hall, but I should give it another try. It seems that some people like Carter Hall, and others like Chatham Manor. As for the "match" thing, I could care less. Sort of like how people complained that McClelland AM Pipe wasn't a match for Dunhill Early Morning Pipe; I don't know if it was ever supposed to be a match, but rather their version of a morning pipe tobacco blend. (AM Pipe is awesome, by the way.)

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ll smoke it on occasion when I’m in the mood for something easygoing and slightly sweet. The topping is whiskey I guess, but the overall taste comes off as cocoa and malt when combined with the Burley. No nicotine to speak of.
If I want a little nic, I usually reach for Five Brothers, D&R Picayune, or C&D Bluegrass.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The more blends I smoke, the less dogmatic I am about what I like, or what others should like. If someone can smoke nothing but Tabolaka (Indonesian air dried burley) then good for them. My dad smoked nothing but Granger from age 15 to 65, breakfast to bedtime, quit cold turkey at 65 and lived to 89 licensed to drive without glasses. Never owned more than one fully functioning pipe at a time. For me, he was the pipe man for all time. About that, I am dogmatic.

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
Both are recent purchases for me, within the last two weeks. So far I’ve had one bowl of carter hall and two of Chatham manor. I think I enjoy the Chatham manor more At the moment. It won’t be one I reach for all the time I don’t think, but I’m planning to keep some on hand, it seems like a good all day smoke to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.