If You Could Only Have 7 Pipes.. Which Ones Are They?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I have been thinking a lot of necessities the last few weeks, and I wondered if I had to trim my pipe collection to 7 pipes. Consider it a "Highly Curated Collection" instead of the common, I WILL COLLECT UNTIL I CAN COLLECT NO MORE.

Take a few of the least favorites, and sell them to purchase something you are really happy to own and maintain.
Most of my pipes were bought at very reasonable price.
There's over 30 pipes in my rotation. Every one of them is a good smoker.

It's nice to have so many different bowl sizes from which to choose depending on the blend.

A while back I went overboard bidding on ebay for pipes that I didn't really need.
There's around 20 pipes that are on display that I don't smoke that I would not ever sell [Like the one pictured] but the rest that didn't make my rotation are slowly being sold off on consignment at my local tobacconist at profit.

1920s German Carved Hunter-pipe with Horn Stem. - Not for sale. a1adc.jpg

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I've only just increased my 'collection' to 7 (not counting a couple of pearwoods that I keep in the car/office)

There really hasn't been any structure in choosing which pipes I've added & I sometimes think I could pick my favourite and get 7 based on that (i.e Sav 626 etc) but each time a rotate through I find i enjoy the variety.
So last night I'm thinking I'm in love with my straight Peterson 606's but I've just finished a bowl in the Sav and that ones back in contention... I might just have to stick with these 7 for the time being

If the Magnificent 7 taught us anything (& It didn't) its that its amazing what a rag-tag jumble can do

20200329_081001_resized.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yep. Pretty awful. I’ve been offered a job on JBER and intend to take it. Start date is flexible based on this C19 stuff. I’ll hopefully be driving home from down here within a month and then I’ll finally be home for good.
Good deal. Welcome home.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
No relation to seller, but he has had it listed for month and I bet would be open to a reasonable offer.
That is tempting, but a bit out of my price range. My wife would kill me if I bought this and she has as much said so when I showed this post to her.

• Haha
Reactions: chopper and Bengel

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Lets see....RInaldo bulldog, Upshall Lovat, Ferndown military billiard, Comoy Old Bruyere Lovat, Castello G Sea Rock Lovat, Early '60s Castello Lovat and Castello bent acorn sea rock. Yep, seven would be doable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I could narrow down to 7 pipes, but I would dearly miss at least another 50, and regret losing the pleasures of the other 25 or so. I've culled some pipes, given away some to a worthy cause or two, so the ones left have importance, most especially the gift pipes and those attained for special reasons.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That is a really tough one for me to answer. One would be a brandy shaped Brebbia Avanti, a mid range pipe that is so well made and such a good smoker that there isn't a pipe I would trade it for. Another would be a 1906 Barling, a huge bent billiard that has seen much use and which still delivers a superior smoke. Third would be a large Leeds Era Ben Wade, another pipe that always delivers. 4th would be the Scottie Piersel that I bought at last year's West Coast Pipe Show. 5th would be the Ken Barnes rough top straight grain, spectacular straight grain, his top grade. 6th would be a Lee Von Erck Dublin that is another magic pipe, one which always smokes sweetly. 7th would be a Preben Holm Frasorteret, a giant pipe that's light as a feather and which smokes like a dream.
Ask me tomorrow and it will be a different selection, though the Brebbia will always be a part of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lightning round, stream of consciousness, I'll pick seven:

Ser Jacopo serpentine shank/stem blast Dublin
Ferndown smooth bent billiard
Nording zebra hunting pipe, long-stem carved Dublin
Peterson Around the World bulldog representing Ireland
Bob Hayes bamboo shank rusticated straight Dublin
Savinelli Oscar Lucite prince in orange stain
Jerry Perry smooth Mountain Laurel slightly bent poker pot

Ah, but so many more! Love 'em all. Just shooting from the hip, but these seven are mighty fine pipes. There are at least 20 pipes that could replace any but the top two.

Reactions: dcon

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Have you got a photo of it handy?
All seven of my choices would be old Ben Wades, although I'd have a helluva time choosing which ones.
Nope, I don't. I keep meaning to take photos of the pipes, but just never get around to it. Those Leeds Era Ben Wades are great pipes with surprisingly open draws. I'm smoking a medium sized bent billiard right now.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Nope, I don't. I keep meaning to take photos of the pipes, but just never get around to it. Those Leeds Era Ben Wades are great pipes with surprisingly open draws. I'm smoking a medium sized bent billiard right now.
I've seen some lovely examples here in the archives of this forum. And just when you think you've seen it all, a new quaint or odd-ball stamping surfaces.

Reactions: sablebrush52

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
1. GBD conquest pedigree
2. Group 2 size GBD pedigree
3. Savinelli Estella 315
4. Charatan’s Make bulldog
5. Bertram billiard (my best smoker)
6. BriarWorks Prince shape
7. Cob w/ lucite stem

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I have been thinking a lot of necessities the last few weeks, and I wondered if I had to trim my pipe collection to 7 pipes. Consider it a "Highly Curated Collection" instead of the common, I WILL COLLECT UNTIL I CAN COLLECT NO MORE.

Take a few of the least favorites, and sell them to purchase something you are really happy to own and maintain.
I only own seven pipes and don't plan on getting any more, so I'm already set.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I only own 7 as well and 1 is a M.M. cob. So if i had to cut 1 and switch the cob would get the cut. Was looking at a Mark Tinsky yellow blast Christmas pipe awhile back.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I only own 7 as well and 1 is a M.M. cob. So if i had to cut 1 and switch the cob would get the cut. Was looking at a Mark Tinsky yellow blast Christmas pipe awhile back.
Two of mine are cobs as well, so I guess that would leave me the opportunity to swap them for something fancier. Not sure what that would be at the moment though. Probably a meerschaum for one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.