PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
If some one was new or wasn't sure what they were doing, they come here posting questions. Over the years the same questions keep arising, could we have sticky posts covering these subjects? This could apply to a wide range of subjects from packing techniques, cadence and smoking techniques, tobacco preparation techniques, how to prevent tongue burn, etc. Of course, there may be new developments that could be introduced in a new thread but for the run of the mill, tried and true techniques, is there a place here to review the accumulated knowledge (without trying to perform an exhaustive search)? Just trying to simplify things for the newbie or inexperienced and reduce the monotony for the long-term members. Maybe they're already here and I've overlooked them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That would take away the social aspect of forum discussions. Someone seeking advice would find the information they needed and that would be that. No live interaction and the forum would devolve into an encyclopedia of pipe smoking. It's participation that keeps the forum going as well as drawing in new pipe smokers.

Sep 18, 2015
I agree with Embers, The questions give the newcomers an opportunity to interact with established members.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
The spirit of this wouldn't take away from the social interactions, in fact I think the questions seeking members opinions would still be relevant and critical to the forum. I'm speaking to questions that get the same, almost verbatim, canned answer from many of the "senior" members here time and again. Just a thought...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'm speaking to questions that get the same, almost verbatim, canned answer from many of the "senior" members here time and again.
As am I. The same questions get asked yes, but with each new person taking up the pipe, we get to relive our journey through their questions and revel in their discoveries just as if we had just pick up the pipe ourselves. Finding static answers can be just as discouraging as no answers at all.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
After second thought, Embers you may be right. I guess if you don't want to read over and over the same thing, just don't click. Getting answers from the elders is what brought me here.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Yep, not trying to rock the boat. As Kevin recently stated...
This website recently turned 10, and the discussion are not too different now than they were in 2009.
If people enjoy repeating the same message and that allows them to relive their early days, its all good!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Besides, who could ever agree as to what, exactly, was the best way to do anything?
Right. Many different view points for new eyes to see and experiment with.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've been on Internet forums since AD 1999, and so I know that answering the same questions again and again, over a number years, can become quite tedious. After I've been doing it for a while, I sometimes just let others take over. A computer forum on which I'm a member tried to implement something like what was suggested by the OP: well, it didn't really work very well, and I always found answers such as 'Google is your friend', 'have you googled it yet?', or even comments from staff telling new members to 'bother googling something first before opening a thread', rather rude, distasteful, and defeating the purpose of having a forum. Even the funny LMGTFY links could be a 'nice' version of R.T.F.M. Never cared for any of that.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
But then there’d be nothing to talk about then.
Right. Many different view points for new eyes to see and experiment with.
Again, not trying to circumvent the life blood of the forum. Just trying to create a repository of information, youtube videos and the like for people to explore and then get opinions. Apparently, this is a bad idea and I'm ok with that. :D

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
so I know that answering the same questions again and again, over a number years, can become quite tedious. After I've been doing it for a while, I sometimes just let others take over.
I guess it also helps with the natural turnover of a forum since few still participate from the early days.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
So wait ... you mean no more, “Are Dunhill Pipes Worth The Price” posts? That would be no fun. :puffpipe:

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
So wait ... you mean no more, “Are Dunhill Pipes Worth The Price” posts? That would be no fun.
No, those would always be important threads for discussion and posting important opinions such as Embers use of Dunhill pipes as bonsai pots. I think we can all agree that there are certain questions where the answer is almost unanimous, such as "how do I store my bulk tobacco or opened tinned tobacco?" The consensus answer to the latter would be a ball or mason jar. The oft-referenced link to GL Pease's thoughts on aging tobacco could be included. The sticky could also contain additional information such as a 5 mil mylar storage bag.

Jan 8, 2013
I say let them ask all the questions they feel the need to ask. And when we answer those questions, it's more welcoming to the new member. We were all newbies at one point. Not long ago, I joined another forum in which every time I asked a question I was told to use the search engine to find the older posts... at which point I would spend a stupid amount of time trying to find the answer to my question. I didn't stick around on that forum for very long at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.