PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I’ve licked plenty of plume, and it’s not sweet, nor do I think it makes the tobacco smoke sweet. I read a lot of people posting that it is sweet or nirvana, but in my experience I cannot relate.
If it wasn’t sweet to begin with, I don’t think gets sweeter, sometimes earthier or more mellow. Just my experience.
Agreed. Isn't "plume" just the existing sugars that were dissolved in the casing solution crystalizing out of the solution to become visible? It isn't actually adding any additional sugar beyond what was there originally, therefore technically the sweetness from the sugar itself can't actually be increasing.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Agreed. Isn't "plume" just the existing sugars that were dissolved in the casing solution crystalizing out of the solution to become visible? It isn't actually adding any additional sugar beyond what was there originally, therefore technically the sweetness from the sugar itself can't actually be increasing.
I doubt the stuff is sugar. Like @cosmicfolklore, I've licked plume and it's not sweet.

I'm thinking it's more salts than sugar. Regardless, it's just a byproduct and evidence of aging but Its presence makes no difference on the taste of the tobacco. I have smoked 10 year old Stonehaven that looked like Tinkerbell did her thing on it (all sparkly) and I've smoked 10 year old Stonehaven with very minimal crystallization. Zero difference.