PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Price aside, I can appreciate and admire her work, it just doesn’t personally give me that “add to cart” pipe boner. Scottie Piersel’s work...boioinoioioioing! I will own and treasure one some day when I have the cash and I’m fast enough on the draw.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Price aside, I can appreciate and admire her work, it just doesn’t personally give me that “add to cart” pipe boner. Scottie Piersel’s work...boioinoioioioing! I will own and treasure one some day when I have the cash and I’m fast enough on the draw.
With you on Scottie's work. The only pipe I bought at the last West Coast Pipe Show was a Piersel. And I helped sell a few more of them during the show.
Scottie is the real deal. I became aware of her work several years ago, decided I liked her attitude toward her craft and became an early booster, commissioning work from her. Scottie goes from strength to strength.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
With you on Scottie's work. The only pipe I bought at the last West Coast Pipe Show was a Piersel. And I helped sell a few more of them during the show.
Scottie is the real deal. I became aware of her work several years ago, decided I liked her attitude toward her craft and became an early booster, commissioning work from her. Scottie goes from strength to strength.
I’m envious. It’s a goal of mine to some day go to a show and purchase a pipe direct from the carver and have that story and connection. Sometimes I wonder if she made a deal with the devil or beat him in some type of Charlie Daniels duel to make such unique innovative work. Glad to hear she’s legit and down to earth. Just makes me admire her work even more.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m envious. It’s a goal of mine to some day go to a show and purchase a pipe direct from the carver and have that story and connection. Sometimes I wonder if she made a deal with the devil or beat him in some type of Charlie Daniels duel to make such unique innovative work. Glad to hear she’s legit and down to earth. Just makes me admire her work even more.
I never said this......? Not a fan of her pencil thin work.

chasingembers said:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I once saw a full-bent billiiard that she made, and to me she nailed the bend, matching Dunhills with the same bend. I can't describe the other features so as to say why I saw perfection in the totality of her form.

Reactions: anotherbob

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My previous post was an attempt to be rational about her stratospheric prices, while this post is more succinct.

I say down with these incredibly expensive pipes! I don't care if you studied with Zeus, the pipe maker to the gods. I don't care if you've been honing your craft for a century. Why? Because it's just a PIPE! The hype just rolls down the aisles. It's a "man do el la." Who gives a sh*t! Get over yourself!

Reactions: wolflarsen

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
My previous post was an attempt to be rational about her stratospheric prices, while this post is more succinct.

I say down with these incredibly expensive pipes! I don't care if you studied with Zeus, the pipe maker to the gods. I don't care if you've been honing your craft for a century. Why? Because it's just a PIPE! The hype just rolls down the aisles. It's a "man do el la." Who gives a sh*t! Get over yourself!
I usually enjoy your posts. However if you don’t feel the pipe is worth the price. Why shit all over it. Who cares. Remember the golden rule. If you don’t have anything good to say don’t say anything at all. I collect and enjoy expensive pipes. Some are rare some not. I would not shit on someone over a basket pipe they like. People like me building collections due so because we love the history or maybe the carver, its a tad more then just hype. I hope you understand.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia

Well, luckily you get to 'vote' on these ridiculous prices by simply not buying pipes at prices that exceed what you are willing to pay.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Nowhere did I say that I had the supreme opinion, and that anyone who liked this artisan must surely have rocks in the head. But in my first post in this thread I said in triplicate that these were my views, and certainly in the last that was needed as well. So that's a mistake.

But overall why do you care about what I say? What I say are simply my views. If you don't agree, move on. My views only become yours if you agree that they do.

Meanwhile I take exception categorically to a $2500.00 pipe. I already gave reasons for this in my second post. But also her prices reek of elitism. Maybe, maybe, 2% of the members on this board have the means to pay her price; maybe 2% of the entire pipe community have such means.

$2500.00 for a pipe? You must be kidding. A pipe is a tube that's drilled such that one's lips at one end of the tube can suck smoke through a hole, while the other end of the tube leads into the chamber by another hole, where tobacco has been previously inserted, this air causing the tobacco to burn and the smoke from which is drawn into the mouth.

This costs $2500.00? Her pipes sell at this price and did they not they would be priced at less cost. What do I know?

The best I can do is admire her facets and elegant lines.

Fine, you have several thousand dollars to burn, so burn baby, burn. But I guarantee you there are thousands of other pipes with a pleasing form, with an engineered draw that smoke as well as Miss Mandy's, and that can be had at a tenth of the price.

My opinions aren't yours unless you believe they are.

I have nothing else to say on this matter but will agree in advance that anything you say is incontestably right.

Reactions: wolflarsen

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
As opposed to the Royal Navy tradition that was built on rum, sodomy, and the lash.
Ah yes, the Royal Navy........'Rum, Baccy & Bum'! Winston Churchill said that & he would've known, as ex Lord of the Admiralty. Sailors were treated with their own pipe tobacco ration, thanks to the NAAFFI stores. I was lucky enough to get a tin a couple of years ago, very nice it was too, excellent in fact.
image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.