PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BasketCase

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Normally I dislike 'James Bond' references in selling products, so I'm glad there's none here :oops:

Just won an interesting ebay lot for 6 pipes and two plush-looking racks. The interest arises as the pipes were made for Anderson Wheeler, a high-end rifle maker, and seem unsmoked (I've not yet received them). The Bond reference arises as they manufactured the rifle Daniel Craig wields in Skyfall.

The metal I'm assuming is some form of gun metal. Another assumption is that, given the price bracket of the rifles they sell, these pipes are likely sourced from a high-end pipe manufacturer though I doubt I will be able to find out which one. From the images the cross-grain and finish look very pretty. I'm also very taken with the billiard shape. Long way to get here, but does anybody know where they might have sourced these from (serious long shot!)? If not, any thoughts on the pipes? I've a thick skin and not a great deal of money down, but I thought they looked pretty smart!Anderson Wheeler.jpgAnderson Wheeler2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A very interesting set! If they were made for sale in the US, doubtful they would have a hallmark (not required). I'm not even sure it is currently required in Britain?

Post close-up photos of the stamping (nomenclature), that might show who made them. The briar looks great from those photos. Also, the tenon end of the stem can be tell-tale (camera phones take excellent close-up photos, no flash, under a light).

Reactions: BasketCase

BasketCase

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2020
A very interesting set! If they were made for sale in the US, doubtful they would have a hallmark (not required). I'm not even sure it is currently required in Britain?

Post close-up photos of the stamping (nomenclature), that might show who made them. The briar looks great from those photos. Also, the tenon end of the stem can be tell-tale (camera phones take excellent close-up photos, no flash, under a light).

I'll certainly upload a close-up once they arrive - would the tenon end of the stem refer to any maker's initials on the stem, the shape of the stem, or some other angle?

The seller indicated that the only maker's mark is Anderson Wheeler so that might prove a dead end (though potentially the stamping style might unearth something).

Cheers for the input

BasketCase

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2020
So, unbelievably I received the pipes today having only paid for them on Tuesday (!). Also unbelievably, there was a seventh pipe in the set. The quality seems excellent, I'm sort of a bit lost for words here. The collars are marked .925 so silver. I've included photos of the stamp for 'Anderson Wheeler' and the stamp 'London England' on the other side. Also included some of the beautiful grain on one of the pipes (each has its own briar character).

Strangely, they all have a little stinger inside that is easy to remove. I'm wondering if they are produced by GBD as a little searching seems to draw comparisons in the stamping and nomenclature. No markings on the stem.

The plot thickens

IMG_20200514_151210.jpgIMG_20200514_151457.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_151727.jpg
    IMG_20200514_151727.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Bowie

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This won't be tremendously helpful, but I remember seeing a set with a similar look that were London made, with silver bands. The maker was fairly obscure (not one of the famous brands), but I just can't recall what it was. The button on the stem doesn't ring any bells for me, but it might for somebody else.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
While nice, they're not high end. The stems are molded instead of made from rod stock.

The wood darkening near the silver band is from someone polishing it with a rag and paste, silverware-style, and not masking the wood first. Bad news because it can't be removed. The only way to functionally remove it is by staining the entire pipe a dark color.

Maker-wise, I'm getting a strong Sasieni vibe.

BasketCase

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2020
While nice, they're not high end. The stems are molded instead of made from rod stock.

The wood darkening near the silver band is from someone polishing it with a rag and paste, silverware-style, and not masking the wood first. Bad news because it can't be removed. The only way to functionally remove it is by staining the entire pipe a dark color.

Maker-wise, I'm getting a strong Sasieni vibe.

Totally agree with both analyses. If these are even low-grade Sasieni I'd be very happy. My tastes are modest, and as the cost including shipping was in the 50-$100 bracket that would be a great find for me! Shame about the discolouration, it is what it is I guess!

Cheers for your feedback, having begun searching estate Sasieni I can see some similarities. Also interesting about the stem - a couple have quite sharp edges so my assumption was (quite quickly done) machine-made

Reactions: Bowie and pitchfork

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Typically, 2nds lines would still use the COM of the maker, that is definitely not Sasieni nor GBD (who also didn't use stingers like that). I suspect the maker is likely lost to time know, if it was ever known.

Status
Not open for further replies.