If I May, Some Sage Advice for New Pipe Smokers...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Oct 24, 2020
USA
EDIT : Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 )

Welcome, new pipe smokers, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Here is my advice as one who was once a "noob" in today's parlance many decades ago.

Don't buy a new smoker kit. 99% of these are from China and are simple wood pipes finished as a good brier pipe. Dont, just don't. unless that new smoker kit includes a good birar pipe and from a reputable maker, DON'T .... just don't waste your money!

Find a good pipe, there are TONS of good inexpensive meerschaum pipes you can buy for little expense. I've bought several good Turkish meerschaum pipes over the years that were not fancy, didn't have the best stem fit, but were decent smokers.

Find a good tobacco for your stage of smoking. Smokingpipes.com among others offers an ability to tind tobacco according to your tolerance.

Learn how to load your pipe and light it. This can take a LOT of practice. The key, as I've found, is never to overpack. Sprinkle a bowl, tamp LIGHTLY to half bowl, sprinkle another, tamp to 3/4, then sprinkle again. Go by advice as many others have said before me on the same advise. Let the tobacco breathe and crowne.

If your bowl doesn't crown and keep a light, start over.

A bowl of tobacco in your pipe, even a small pipe, should last for as long as a good cigar. Puff, don't such like a needy cigarette smoker.

If you have to relight the bowl, do so!

When you have smoked a few years, you'll learn the right way to pack a bowl, and how to smoke it. The bowl should NEVER be warm to the touch. Especially meerschaum. Smoke, enjoy the smoke, and take care of your smoking tools. Whether they be briar or meerschaum, take care of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
?

Wow.....?
if the pipe doesn't crown you know what crowning is. Basically if it doesn't come out of your wife the way a kid does the pipe is no good. I thought if anyone would get that it would be you.
And for the part that made you say wow. Don't smoke your pipe like that one ex I had to stop talking to cause she just couldn't accept the finality of out situation. You know don't suck it down in two drags.
@Ted the Chilehead sorry I had to tease Embers. There is just something about him that says he needs the extra stimulation.

Reactions: cornedbeef
Oct 24, 2020
USA
Very good opinion.

Also, smoke a pipe, slow..... don't puff puff puff like a locomotive! Heavens, you'll only get bitter and nasty results. Despite movies and such, smoke your pipe slow, with just small puffs, enjoy the tobacco and what it gives you once lighted.... DON'T over puff, don't over smoke, give "pipe" a chance! Otherwise, you'll never enjoy any of the many blends and offerings of tobaccos everyone has to offer. Don't mistake what I'm saying please, prepare your pipe, keep it clean, pack it gently before smoking... smoke it through the bowl.... it will take many lights. And, when, finished, clean it. Clean it well. Don't smoke it again right away! Let it cool. Pipe smokers have multiple pipes to enjoy. Beginners should learn the same. Don't chain smoke. If you want to chain smoke, pipe smoking is not for you!

Reactions: 02Knight
Oct 24, 2020
USA
You are correct! Nothing we all learn as pipe smokers is wrong. And, I hope I never gave any indication other than my opinion only... DO WHAT WORKS FOR yOU! Learn and enjoy! Enjoy all smokes, cigars, pipes, etc.

Reactions: Scottishgaucho
Oct 24, 2020
USA
Let me provide this. Everyone needs to find their path as a smoker. I, love cigars, I smoke every day. I also love smoking cool meerschaums with peterson early morning and on many occasions the plum and burls. A beginner smoker or experienced should be open to try new tobaccos and, some, honestly, need to be smoked in a different way. While I smoke a red flake, almost daily, I can't argue that a prune will provide some awesome sugary tones, I can't also argue that mature dates don't also offer some rich and guiding richness.