PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
It was $39. I could see no markings. It felt as light as a toy. I’m not familiar with these old pipes.

I unscrewed the stem from the Kaywoodie. Has the screw in fitment. Stem was brown. Bowl was caked heavily. No price and they didn’t know. Asked to take my name and number. You know, consignment type antique shop.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Kaywoodie with the screw-in stinger could be one of the old Drinkless series. The only stinger pipe I smoke or own is one of those, and the stinger cleans up quickly, and it is a good smoker. The finish is rather matte and plain, but the carved grooves (Ruff Tone) are kind of interesting.

Reactions: gamzultovah

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The Kaywoodie with the screw-in stinger could be one of the old Drinkless series. The only stinger pipe I smoke or own is one of those, and the stinger cleans up quickly, and it is a good smoker. The finish is rather matte and plain, but the carved grooves (Ruff Tone) are kind of interesting.
I was reading about Kaywoodie and those after 1936 are hard to date. You have to guesstimate age. I’d say this one I saw was pre-WW-2. The drinkkess is different Tom. I looked at drawings. They referred to what I saw as “screw in fitment” The stem unscrews to remove.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I bought a nice Calabash at the Chicago Pipe Show 3 years ago. Smoked it a few times then traded it for some tobacco. Rather small tobacco chamber, it smoked okay. It did certainly smoke "cool", whatever that means. But the thing is humongous and took up a lot of space. Obviously, it wasn't a clincher. I think I paid around $130 for what was a quality gourd Calabash. If the one in your photo is in decent condition, it's probably worth $39 if you like the pipe.

Reactions: shermnatman

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'd buy it at 39 dollars it doesn't matter if it smokes good. That's a fine price for something to look at. And if it smokes good you need to pick it before some one buys it to smoke wet cigar butts out of it... Trust me that is what will happen if you don't buy it. Seriously you have to save that pipe.

Reactions: shermnatman

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
@Grangerous - Seriously, grab it; before you regret it later... ?

And... if you aren't sure about the pipe after you get it home and fool around with it for awhile, let me know; and perhaps I might just be inclined to swap you for a brand-new, freshly sealed 12 oz. tub of yummy, delicious, and oh-so satisfying Granger pipe tobacco. delivered conveniently right to your front door in exchange for doing you the brotherly-favor and extreme gentle kindness of taking that butt-ugly, misshapen, foul beast of a filthy thing off your once-pristine hands, and exorcising it's inherently evil presence from the serenity of your previously lovely and joy-filled home. - Sherm Natman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
@Grangerous - Seriously, grab it; before you regret it later... ?

And... if you aren't sure about the pipe after you get it home and fool around with it for awhile, let me know; and perhaps I might just be inclined to swap you for a brand-new, freshly sealed 12 oz. tub of yummy, delicious, and oh-so satisfying Granger pipe tobacco. delivered conveniently right to your front door in exchange for doing you the brotherly-favor and extreme gentle kindness of taking that butt-ugly, misshapen, foul beast of a filthy thing off your once-pristine hands, and exorcising it's inherently evil presence from the serenity of your previously lovely and joy-filled home. - Sherm Natman
But Granger is only $24.99 per can and you’re “kind offer” doesn’t even account for postage or even a “finders fee”. IF YOU THINK ? I’M GONNA FALL FOR THAT DEAl..... um ?

Granger you say?

Okay ?

Reactions: rajangan

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
But Granger is only $24.99 per can and you’re “kind offer” doesn’t even account for postage or even a “finders fee”. IF YOU THINK ? I’M GONNA FALL FOR THAT DEAl..... um ?

Granger you say?

Okay ?
I... must... resist.... going full-bore into my imitation of Mr. Haney, from Green Acres... Only on MeTV!!! aPIPEHaNEY.jpg
- Sherm Natman