PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Most Bluebird Pipes seem to have a shapely shank like this. I think they're neat, was wondering if there's a name for it. Thanks!
View attachment 96919
To my eye, the shank is way too thin compared to the chunky bowl [It would look rather good were it a bowl half that size or if the shank was twice as thick with that bowl] It's out of proportion.

It makes me wonder if the pipe maker stuffed up when shaping the shank or it was full of pits that needed removing.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
To my eye, the shank is way too thin compared to the chunky bowl [It would look rather good were it a bowl half that size or if the shank was twice as thick with that bowl] It's out of proportion.

It makes me wonder if the pipe maker stuffed up when shaping the shank or it was full of pits that needed removing.
I agree...looks as if it wouldn't take much force to snap it. I don't like thick stems but that's just too thin for my liking.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

Briarberg

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Richmond, Virginia

I think it was deliberate from the onset, seems to be a theme in the artists designs. I see what you mean with the quite bulbous bowl here, I think the poker wears it better. pokershank.jpg

Reactions: chopper