PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
Going through many yard pipes I’ve noticed that shanks are cracked. Normal repair is CA glue, with an added band for reinforcement. Many restorers collect old bands resulting in a critical mass of pipes to restore. Bands are sold separately and in quantities are quite expensive.
I’m wondering about plumbers copper tubing, or aluminum tubing for shank stems. Tubing is thicker but it some cases might work.
Has anyone thought about a diy shank band material, other that the zip tie method?
Many thanks,
-Bill

Reactions: kcghost
Expensive? On Vermont Freehand's website, they have them for like $3, and you can get exact sizes.

I mean, you can use copper tubing, but what an ugly mess that will be in short time. And, I am not so sure you're saving money.

It just takes a few silversmithing skills, brazing/soldering, cutting, forming, and polishing, and you've got a whole new hobby. But, I think you'll find that making repair bands is way more expensive and time consuming.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
@HawkeyeLinus I must have missed this pic. I am in a kind of awe. I haven't loved a feature on a pipe this much in a long time.
He really doesn’t do metal ornamentation but was a fan of The Christmas Carol concept my finding that half crown inspired and really came up with something unique. The size of the ring drove the lines of the pipe so it’s kind of a chunky author/pot Victorian bastard in a good way!