PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Looking for some help identifying this Ashton pipe I've just come across. Any information or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

MGxGvudl.jpg

xUjqbyGl.jpg

There's some pretty serious "chipping" (?) on the rim decoration and I'm hesitant to call it silver but it's definitely similar...

TIA.

Reactions: lightmybriar

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Thanks for the reply. Is there a website that explains the stamping?

Any idea what could've corroded the rim cap like that? (I'm toying with the idea of replacing it perhaps...)

There is a partial explanation here:

Ashton - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Ashton

Bill Taylor died in 2009. For pipes produced in 1983 through 2009 the date code is 1980 plus the code. So 3 is 1983, 9 is 1989, 2003 is 23, etc. After Jim Craig took over the code became 2 plus the year. So 210 is 2010, 2019 is 219, etc. Some Craig pipes were stamped with a JC, some weren’t. Every once in a while you find a pipe without a date code, Bill Taylor went a whole year in the mid 90’s having lost the stamp.

Jun 23, 2019
This looks like one of the silver adorned group of Ashtons sold by Maxim on his pipes2smoke site. Apparently, Maxim collected the fitments through the years and then sent them to Jimmy Craig who made pipes that fit them.

Cool, thanks for the brief back story.

Do you know where I can read more about this?

I'm debating to what degree I should attempt to "restore" this beauty, but it would be a shame to do more harm than good to it so just trying to turn over all the stones I guess.

m*lf

Lurker
Sep 22, 2019
Looking for some help identifying this Ashton pipe I've just come across. Any information or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

MGxGvudl.jpg

xUjqbyGl.jpg

There's some pretty serious "chipping" (?) on the rim decoration and I'm hesitant to call it silver but it's definitely similar...

TIA.
It was a project between Jim Craig & pipe2smoke.com. The 6 pipes are all last year 2019, the bands and caps are from 1870-1912. The one above 1880's and in the worst shape. It took me 10 years to get enough bands for 6 pipes. Jimmy had to remove, restore and then fit a pipe to the band, took 10 months to do. Best Maxim below a really great unique one.

Attachments

• Ast_A_6_1.jpg
    Ast_A_6_1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Ast_A_6_2.jpg
    Ast_A_6_2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Ast_A_6_3.jpg
    Ast_A_6_3.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Ast_A_6_4.jpg
    Ast_A_6_4.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Ast_A_6_5_closeup.jpg
    Ast_A_6_5_closeup.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 7

m*lf

Lurker
Sep 22, 2019
The band was probably made in Vienna in the pre WWI Austro-Hungarian Empire. The bands were made using with the pattern normal being cut out from copper or a copper alloy, Then plated with with silver, often 3-4 times to build up the silver layer. Some were made fashioned from silver sheets, and some were copper alloy, silver plated and then gold double plated. They were originally made for Meerschaum pipes and later also for briars. These elaborate bands pretty much went out of fashion after 1918. Today, they are very rare. Enjoy the pipe it's an Ashton. Best Maxim pipes2smoke.com

Status
Not open for further replies.