PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My 30th birthday was back on the 22nd and so I thought I should get a nice pipe to commemorate it. I decided on this Icarus corduroy finished volcano. I'm a sucker for unique things so I love the stem and I also love the corduroy finish. It's very well balanced and is drilled perfectly. I have no doubt it'll be a great smoker. I think it will end up being dedicated to VaPers.
image26-448x600.jpg

image28-448x600.jpg

image27-600x600.jpg

image29-448x600.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That is a very nice pipe.....
I hope that they work out a way to fit the stems without using the ring transition.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I hope that they work out a way to fit the stems without using the ring transition.
I noticed the same thing, too, when these pipes were first introduced. I assume that's a key factor in keeping costs down. (Based, of course, on my extensive pipe manufacturing experience.)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Nice looking pipe. Not sure I would call that a volcano though, looks more like a cherrywood.
SmokingPipes.com had it listed as a volcano. I can see where one would classify it as a cherrywood.
In a quick browse at SPC I noticed there are some that are silver/nickel banded and one that isn't banded at all.
I'm hypothesizing here, but my guess at the ring transition may be in part because one of the things Todd did with this line was make all the tenons uniformed so if you bit through a stem it could be replaced by buying one uniformed stem and not having to send the entire pipe back to have a new stem fitted for it. Maybe thing ring transition helped out early on or with certain pipes that required a wider shank.
I like the accent it gives on this pipe.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So how did the first smoke go? Any special breaking in technique used?
Enjoying the first bowl right now. I've gotten around to just filling it up and smoking slow and cool. I loaded it up with some Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake. It's smoking great. Wonderful effortless draw. Very good clencher. With the bends and the volcano/cherrywood shape it's very nice in the hand as well. Very happy with it! I will definitely buy more Icarus pipes in the future.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Today I decided to break in a new pipe with a bare briar chamber. I filled it to the rim, but let it go out from time to time just to let it cool down. Other than that no special technique was used.
Congatulations again and happy sipping!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Swell looking pipe. I'm sure the finish has been used before but I can't say who used it.
Coincidentally, I was talking with Keith at SP yesterday about the difference between the Icarus and Neptune lines. Apparently one uses a better grade of briar. Not sure why they would want to setup two different organizations and distribution systems, rather than just grading them or creating two lines in the same organization.
Happy Birthday :clap:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I like it ... congrats and Happy belated B-day! :clap:
BTW ... how goes the blending experiment?

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I had a chance to talk to Todd at the West Coast Pipe Show and purchase both an Icarus and a Neptune. Mine were early production, and we talked about the direction he wanted to take the brands and the improvements he wanted to see in the future. Great conversation with a very down to earth fellow. This project is a growing concern, it is not considered to be "arrived". We will see much more from these folks in the form of shapes, one offs, and finishes. I do not remember seeing a wire cut finish at WCPS, but then I could have missed it. I have seen the finish before from other American pipe factories, and it has been one of my favorites.
From the reports like this one, I wish I had purchased a Volcano, as I think the design hangs better and I clench a lot through out the day...it will probably on the list to get this summer.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
BTW ... how goes the blending experiment?
I'm having great luck with about 20% Perique and 10% Black Cavendish to 70% Semois. Thank you again.
I do not remember seeing a wire cut finish at WCPS, but then I could have missed it. I have seen the finish before from other American pipe factories, and it has been one of my favorites.
From the reports like this one, I wish I had purchased a Volcano, as I think the design hangs better and I clench a lot through out the day...it will probably on the list to get this summer.
I don't recall the corduroy/wire brush finish being at the WCPS either. SmokingPipes.Com has a few different shapes and shades in the corduroy/wire brush finish available now.
Both Todd and Pete were hanging out at the Irish Pub the Friday before the show. I got to share a few bowls and shoot the breeze with them a bit. They had a few prototypes of the briar calabash out and were discussing it with people and letting people handle them and get a close look. That's what got me interested in the line.
They truly are worth their price. This one is by far the best smoker in my collection and will probably remain a favorite of mine for a long time to come. It's making the VaPers absolutely sing.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Happy B-day! That pipe looks more like a volcano when it is not resting in a stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.