PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I saw Tull back in the 90's at the Chicago Jazz Festival of all places. The concert was ostensibly geared towards jazz flute but they didn't stick to the format very long and started just playing their hits. Decent show but nothing like their 70's concerts in terms of raw energy.
I saw Bonnie Raitt there it was sick

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Saw about three years ago with some first class musicians. The music and show was fantastic Ian as a human is a first class asshole. When he announced the break he said the show would resume in 15 minutes and he meant it. A guy came strolling in a couple of minutes later after the show resumed and ole Ian stopped the music and read the guy the riot act about being on time.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I had a ticket to Jethro Tull once about 10 years ago. They were actually playing here in my town and country.
The concert was on a wednesday evening and I had a lot to do. I purchased the tickets a couple of months before, and the time of the show was filled with work, so I forgot.
I still have the ticket. I don't care if Ian's an asshole. He can sing and play stuff like "My God".

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Saw Tull in 1978,The "Heavy Horses tour I think it was.My all time favorite band.At the end of the show,Barrie Barlow Jumped up from behind the drum kit and played the last measure on the flute.Lost interest in their new material after 1979.

• Love
Reactions: BROBS and wyfbane

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
Saw Tull in 1978,The "Heavy Horses tour I think it was.My all time favorite band.At the end of the show,Barrie Barlow Jumped up from behind the drum kit and played the last measure on the flute.Lost interest in their new material after 1979.
Barlow is one of the most underrated drummers in the history of drummers. His work on Thick as a brick is amazing. And it was only his first with Jethro.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am a HUGE Tull fan. My dad was a biker and listened to all the great 60's heavier stuff. I remember the Aqualung album from when I was knee high. I got into a lot of their other stuff when I was growing up. My favorite songs are One White Duck / 0" = Nothing at All and Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.

I got to see them in '92 or so. They were super good. Still really tight as musicians.
My uncle saw them in the early 70's. Said it was one of his favorite concerts. People were being loud, and Ian stopped the song in mid verse. Yelled at people to STFU. Then went one, two, three, and picked up from the exact note they had stopped on.

I think that make him less an ass and more of a perfectionist.

I also heard him on a radio show in Seattle where he said his daughter pointed out his technique was wrong and he 'relearned' the flute the 'right way'. Interesting guy.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I've seen Tull at least 4 times and Ian Anderson without the traditional Tull line up twice. Every concert ranged from enjoyable to phenomenal. Ian Anderson is indeed a perfectionist which many confuse as being an asshole but its a matter of perspective. I have never witnessed his abrasive side while he was performing but I have seen a touch of his irritation come through in interviews that are probably viewed by him as bothersome professional obligations.