PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Since you're going to be in the South anyway, try packing a cob with you when you go. Cobs and southern climes go hand in glove. The answer may lie in choice of pipe rather than choice of tobacco. It would make an interesting experiment, at any rate.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I must be all turned around. Don't Virginia's generally have the lowest nicotine content of all?
Just smoked some Sutliff Sweet Virginia at lunch. Burns warmer and faster than my PS Luxury Navy Flake, which I prefer but am low on and preserving.
Both, seems to me, are low nicotine fills.
(Aiming for low nicotine lately because high nic flushes my face and sits me down. Looking for a nice tasty one and loose fills of shredded PS Luxury Navy Flake, sipped at gently, mmmm.... good stuff. Long lasting bowls. I like the cheaper Newmister 400, as well.)

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Got me off the fence. Just placed an order for six blends of Virginias, tin and bulk (four are flakes, including Dunhill Flake) that I've been seeing recommended as low-nicotine, tasty smokes. Thanks for your post! Nudged me into doing something about it.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Thank you all. Regardless if it's the Englishes are heavy or burn hot in hotter weather, I am trying a bunch of the suggestion for VA flakes. Hey, why not? It's an excuse to try more tobacco.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I wonder if your hotter smoking experiences in the Carolinas have more to do with altitude than temperature. Just a thought...

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I must be all turned around. Don't Virginia's generally have the lowest nicotine content of all?

Actually, GH ropes are pure Virginias, as are many of the GH shags, and these are some of the highest in nicotine of all tobaccos. Orientals, including Latakia are generally low in nicotine, but are often perceived as high nicotine because they have strong flavours. The same happens with nasal snuff, in that people perceive snuffs with strong nose burn as being strong in nicotine, which is often not the case.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I wonder if moisture and humidity could play a part in that. Moist tobacco needs to be hotter in order to burn.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I think McClelland's VA flakes and blends are of quite low N content also, while Samuel Gawith's FVF seems to be on the higher side.

For low N tasty Virginia, I would also suggest Hamborger Veermaster and VAUEN's Trüllerie.

:puffy:

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
@Buroak ... I live in the mountains of Colorado, so humidity is nonexistent. I do dry my tobacco when needed. At my condo in South Carolina, I leave the tobacco inside where it's air-conditioned and less humid. I golf in the morning when it's nice and then return for reading and puffing, and just everything was smoking hot ... Larry's Blend, 10 Russians, SPC Plum Pudding, MacBaren's HH Latakia Flake, and in different pipes because I never travel light with pipes. More experimentation to come with English and Virginias this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.