PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
I'm already getting the bug for another pipe. I'm ready to pull the triger on a Perterson army mount, but I like a genod pipe also. Who makes the better pipe? I'm leaning towards the Peterson, I have two already and love them. But I'm open to something different also. I was looking to get a Meerschuam but They are expencive. The AKB's are around the price of the peterson, but I heard there cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Briar Tuck and BCF

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
So, the AKB's in the $100.00 price range are good? I was reading the way the stem mounts to them is not very good. Will a Meerschaum smoke and last as long as a Briar pipe? I'm a novice to some of these pipes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was reading the way the stem mounts to them is not very good.
Some don't like the screw in mortise and tenon system but it's much less expensive to repair that a damaged permanent insert. AKB is less a manufacturer though and more a distributor. Different craftsman use different mounts.

Will a Meerschaum smoke and last as long as a Briar pipe?
If not longer.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm already getting the bug for another pipe. I'm ready to pull the triger on a Perterson army mount, but I like a genod pipe also. Who makes the better pipe? I'm leaning towards the Peterson, I have two already and love them. But I'm open to something different also. I was looking to get a Meerschuam but They are expencive. The AKB's are around the price of the peterson, but I heard there cheap.
Meerschaummarket.com

They have a lot of new inventory, with a lot of added inexpensive meers.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It all depends on what shape you are considering 🤔
There are Petes I absolutely love, and some I don't care for.
Ditto Genods.
Difficult to advise without knowing your tastes

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
I went with a Indian head akb meerschaum from sp.com. ordered a tin of presbyterian in the blue tin. Should be here this week. Then I can smoke it before my operation on 2/22. I'll smoke some Barbados plantation to break it in. I figured for 77 bucks it's worth a shot. Thanks all.

Piping Abe

Can't Leave
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I went with a Indian head akb meerschaum from sp.com. ordered a tin of presbyterian in the blue tin. Should be here this week. Then I can smoke it before my operation on 2/22. I'll smoke some Barbados plantation to break it in. I figured for 77 bucks it's worth a shot. Thanks all.

Be prepared for salt. I just got my first Meerschaum as well and the first 10-15 smokes are all very salty. Some say they’ve never experienced this. So who knows.

It makes sense since it is seafoam.

john19

Can't Leave
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Me too. I want another pipe. I want one savinelli 320 ks or Peterson Sherlock Holmes rustic, or Peterson kinsale rustic. I want them, but the problem is... i don't have money 😫!

Savinelli St. Nicholas 2022 320ks.
Savinelli-St.-Nicholas-2022-320KS-SKU-P425ZMS-320-14.jpg

Peterson kinsale xl11 p-lip.
002-029-34014.jpg

Peterson Sherlock Holmes Milverton p-lip.
Milverton Rustic 9mm-1000x1000.jpg

Plus, i want some Peterson st. patrick's day 2023.

Last edited:

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
How interesting. I don't own an Altinay yet, but I'll keep this in mind when I eventually find one I like.
It is clearly a high quality block too. I was surprised because it was my first meer so I thought it was normal. My AGovem meer just had that chalky flavor in the beginning but none of the low-tide, briny flavor that I got with my Altinay.