PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
After watching Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock (health secretary) last Sunday telling the world how proud they were in getting everyone in category 4 (over 70 & clinically extremely vulnerable to Covid) by their deadline I was more than a bit miffed as I have a letter from HMG stating I fall into category 4 due to being clinically extremely vulnerable yet have not been vaccinated.

I called my surgery the next day and asked what the situation was and was told they were awaiting supplies of vaccine which contradicted Johnson's boasts.

Long story short, I contacted the BBC to let them know BJ was yet again spouting BS. Apparently I was not alone, they had several complaints along the same lines. I was asked if I minded appearing on TV but said I'd rather not as I didn't want loads of folk in my house. No worries she said, we can do the interview via Messenger using my Kindle Fire!

This was done and it was broadcast the next evening after the main news ?

The beauty of it was, two days later I got a very friendly call from my surgery (something of a first) advising me a district nurse will visit my home next Friday with my Covid jab......yippee!!!!

So folks, it pays to complain!

Regards,

Jay.?
So the nurse is coming to take care of you?rached.jpg

Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm 47 and don't have any of the underlying health issues like obesity etc. yet I'm getting my first jab on Saturday. I'm guessing they've done all the elderly and vulnerable people in my area.

I was in two minds about getting the jab but I read about people getting long covid and some of them are having long term problems so I decided to get it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm 47 and don't have any of the underlying health issues like obesity etc. yet I'm getting my first jab on Saturday. I'm guessing they've done all the elderly and vulnerable people in my area.

I was in two minds about getting the jab but I read about people getting long covid and some of them are having long term problems so I decided to get it.
Smart move. Illness isn't as sexy as death, so the media hasn't been doing much reporting on "long haulers". They make up about 10% of the people who catch Covid-19. Their illness persists without improvement. I've read first person accounts by people who have been sick without improvement for nearly a year so far, with no prospect for remission. Neither age, nor physical condition, factors into who gets long haulers.
And a number of people who have Covid develop scarring on their hearts, lungs, livers, kidneys, and other bits, after they have "recovered".
The good news is that some research is focusing on theraputics that would address this condition and there are a couple of promising candidates that may be able to help the millions of people who are suffering from "permanent" illness.
Until then, get that jab.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A couple of little tidbits for those wavering on getting vaccinated:

Having gotten Covid doesn't provide enough antibodies to guarantee that you won't get it again, or one of the variants circulating from giving you another round of it. Just having a mild case the first time doesn't guarantee that the next case will be mild as well. In the first known case of reinfection, the guy in Nevada who got reinfected last fall, his first case was mild. His second case sent him to the hospital with pneumonia.

Getting the vaccine doesn't prevent you from becoming a carrier, even if you don't feel sick, so continue to take precautions until the case rate really takes a significant drop.

The only way to cut the rate of mutations is to starve out the virus and vaccinations help the population do that.

Okay, bully pulpit closed.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
I had (thankfully) a mild case in October of last year. Lingering breathing issues that are starting to pass. I work in healthcare so have had both doses of the vaccine last month. I don’t wish this on anyone. Just had a high school friend pass who was by all appearances healthy. We are mid 50’s. Get the vaccine as soon as you can.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The US has, as of today, administered a reported 59M+ doses. The U.K. 17M+. That's #1 and #3 in the world. In terms of "per 100 citizens" dose metric the U.K. is #4 and the US #6. And those two countries manufactured the most effective vaccines. So....kinda not so bad on the aggregate.

I stress aggregate becase how distribution takes place town to town can be executed widely different. To the theme/point of what you shared......always be your own health advocate. Don't wait for a hospital or government administrator to call your name or be proactive with an answer. Ask questions and follow-up. Not just Covid....any health situation. My wife battled through stage 3 Cancer and has a weakend immune system. I asked her Monday about when she is getting her shot...."Well, um...I'm waiting to hear". I told her to call the hospital/her doctor tomorrow 8am sharp. On Friday she got her first dose. Be you own health advocate in all situations.
Australia is yet to begin - scheduled to start tomorrow Mon 22nd Feb.
Thankfully our case numbers are amongst the lowest in the world.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
A couple of little tidbits for those wavering on getting vaccinated:

Having gotten Covid doesn't provide enough antibodies to guarantee that you won't get it again, or one of the variants circulating from giving you another round of it. Just having a mild case the first time doesn't guarantee that the next case will be mild as well. In the first known case of reinfection, the guy in Nevada who got reinfected last fall, his first case was mild. His second case sent him to the hospital with pneumonia.

Getting the vaccine doesn't prevent you from becoming a carrier, even if you don't feel sick, so continue to take precautions until the case rate really takes a significant drop.

The only way to cut the rate of mutations is to starve out the virus and vaccinations help the population do that.

Okay, bully pulpit closed.
Some early studies are starting to show transmission/infection rates way down post-vaccination. Still a long way to go on those studies, but early signs are showing more promise on transmission than originally put out there which is good.

I'm 10 days post-dose #2 of Moderna. Had some mild symptoms for 24 hours, then gone. My wife had no symptoms at all to either dose. The whole thing is pretty interesting.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
BJ telling porkies? Who would have thought it? I speak as a former denizen of London who didn't vote for him to become mayor - at the risk of getting into trouble with the mods - who are more than welcome to delete this bit if breaks any rules:

Coming out of a polling station on London Mayor election day I was approached by one BJ's canvassers who rather presumptuously in my opinion (I was dressed for a client meeting which might have confused him) addressed me thus:

party bloke: "I trust I can mark you down as voting for Boris?
me: "I wouldn't vote for that feckin' eejit if it was a one party state, he was the only candidate, voting was compulsory and I had to provide my name and address to vote"
party bloke: he just stood there open mouthed and completely at a loss as to what to do or say
me: "if that doesn't fit on your form; you can put down NO"

Apparently my brother had a similar conversation in the last general election when some twit rang the door bell and interrupted his dinner to canvass for BJ's candidate - one Matt Hancock.

----

Back to the jabs... ...rollout has started in Brazil - well; it has according to the Federal Government. Papers recently reported that São Paulo and Rio states are seeking to take control and manage their own vaccine orders because although we had officially started no one had been vaccinated because there wasn't any vaccine...

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Getting the vaccine doesn't prevent you from becoming a carrier"

Took me an age to explain that to my Mother. Mind you she is 85 and more than a little ga-ga ☹️

"As for Jay being in the news, we all knew it would happen one day."

Mike, it wasn't my first time on TV, I appeared on BBC Panorama aged about 13!

Regards,

Jay.

• Wow
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Status
Not open for further replies.