PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m always amazed when I see a burnout. I’ve tried my hardest to burn out a pipe from smoking one and for the life of me, I can’t do it! I do understand sometimes there are hidden flaws and what not that can contribute to a burnout, I guess I’ve just been lucky over the years. One of these days, I’ll burn one out... one of these days.

Sometimes while driving, I hang my head out the window like a dog while smoking my pipe. ;)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I had something similar happen once. Huge sand pit just under the surface of the bowl interior. Once it hit the sand pit, it was all over in a hurry.
I’m curious, what brand pipe was it? I know you are into artisan pipes but I’m wondering if it was a factory pipe or not. If you don’t want to name names, I completely understand.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’m curious, what brand pipe was it? I know you are into artisan pipes but I’m wondering if it was a factory pipe or not. If you don’t want to name names, I completely understand.

This happened a long, long time ago. I'm pretty sure it was a factory pipe. But it could happen to any maker. Sorry if x-raying the bowl, how would you know?

Reactions: BROBS and hawky454

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
drill it out to clean wood and fill it with something like a mixture of wood glue and ash or sawdust or like that and build a little cake and it'll still be a shop pipe.

Given how little the pipe means to me, and how close to the center line that hole is, I'm actually thinking of making a cut-away through the burn out. Just to see what really happened/as a teaching tool.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've had a few mishaps with pipes in the few years I've practiced and it always seems to be with a pipe I value for one reason or another...I've had mortises blow out from simple stem insertion w/o warning, dropped 'em and cracked the shank or broken it in half, burned out a cob or 2 (naturals and 2nds at that) or lost it.
The sense of loss is becomes a bittersweet memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.