PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
I noticed today on a certain online retailer (they’re not a site sponsor so I’m not sure if it’s cool to name them) that Balkan Sobranie was for sale—$25.99 per tin, limit one per customer. Is this THE Balkan Sobranie? Is it back in production or is this old stock? I’m glad to hear your thoughts. I’ll post a screenshot of the tin as it’s listed on the site.
ECA692FC-9E2B-4095-B6A7-395276F8968B.jpeg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
That's a pretty swell deal, but I enjoy Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Original Mix Match even more than the "genuine article." (I use quotes here because I know it has gone through several incarnations and is quite different than what it was decades ago.) Much cheaper too, about $2.50/oz. on SP.com, with quantity-based discounts as well.

But hey, that's just me and my own preferences. YMMV. ?‍♂️

Edit: The entry below sums that one point up even better.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's a pretty swell deal, but I enjoy Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Original Mix Match even more than the "genuine article." (I use quotes here because I know it has gone through several incarnations and is quite different than what it was decades ago.) Much cheaper too, about $2.50/oz. on SP.com, with quantity-based discounts as well.

But hey, that's just me and my own preferences. YMMV. ?‍♂️
Keep an eye on tobaccopipes. They often have 10-25% off Sutliff sales.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I noticed today on a certain online retailer (they’re not a site sponsor so I’m not sure if it’s cool to name them) that Balkan Sobranie was for sale—$25.99 per tin, limit one per customer. Is this THE Balkan Sobranie? Is it back in production or is this old stock? I’m glad to hear your thoughts. I’ll post a screenshot of the tin as it’s listed on the site.
View attachment 154845
It's a clone made by Germain's, not even remotely comparable to the stuff made by Sobranie Ltd. except for the tin art. It's been in production since 2011. Sobranie original smoking mixture and 759 were two of my favorite smokes in the 70's and '80's. I can't get through a bowl of this stuff.

If you want something close to actual Balkan Sobranie, try White Knight

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Not really sure what Germain was going for with this, but don't bother. I've never had anything labeled Balkan that was remotely close to this. Maybe 965 with a heaping of wet lawn clippings.

If you're already on P&C try White Knight and Black House, they re much closer to Sobranie White and 759. Better yet call LJ Peretti and order a few ounces of Royal and a few of Tashkent.