PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
A few days ago I started a thread titled "Oral Cancer Scare". After looking at many sites and pics on the internet I'm pretty sure what I have instead is leukoplakia. Here's how the world-famous Mayo Clinic describes it:
"This condition causes cells in the mouth to grow excessively. That, in turn, leads to the formation of white patches inside the mouth, including on the tongue. Although not dangerous on its own, leukoplakia can be a precursor to cancer. So it is important for your dentist to determine the cause of white patches on your tongue. Leukoplakia can develop when the tongue has been irritated, and it is often found in people who use tobacco products."
What's scary is that this condition can be a precursor to cancer. I'm going to see a dentist to be sure, but I think this serves as a huge red flag in my life indicating that I should stop smoking altogether. You'll probably see additional posts on this site from me selling my pipes and my prodigious collection of bulk tobaccos.
By the way, have any of you ever had this condition? If so, what did you do about it?

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
So, how long have you been smoking and how many bowls a day? Regardless, I'd wait til you get a diagnosis from your doc/ dentist before I started selling briar. Dr Google is notoriously unreliable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Get a medical opinion and then get a second opinion. Google can be helpful but can certainly lead you wrong.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Definitely get it checked by a professional - and if it is leukoplakia, then make your decision.
I don't know anyone who's had leukoplakia, so I can't speak to it directly - but my father had a similar precancerous skin condition (keratosis) due to growing up on a farm in the days before sunscreen (also, working as a lifeguard for several years). A lot of the precancerous conditions are easily treated and completely manageable, so at least there's that.
Good luck!

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
Rockymtnsmoker: My smoking has been very intermittent but that doesn't matter. My dentist will tell me for sure whether I have leukoplakia. The problem is I've been terrified for the past week that I may have tongue cancer. Knowing that my condition looks very much like leukoplakia and that leukoplakia is NOT a form of cancer puts my mind at considerable ease until I see my dentist. Whether I sell my pipes is the least of my concerns right now. However, given the circumstances, it's probably the smartest thing for me to do.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jazzlover, I hope this all turns out well for you. Either way, I think that pipe smoking is not for you. It is an avocation intended to be relaxing and enjoyable. If it is not pleasure-inducing for you, then a change of hobbies would not be an unreasonable move for you.
Best wishes.

Dec 24, 2012
Could this be a condition that is confined to canines? I know our dog puts his tongue in some very unhygienic places, and I wonder if this might be the root cause.
In any event, once you have seen a vet and have a confirmed diagnosis we would be grateful if you could let us know so we could watch our family pets for similar symptoms.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I think that it is important to stress that you do not have a proper diagnosis for your condition. It may, in fact, not be leukoplakia at all. It is just as likely to be candida or syphilis. So don't get all worried until you know for certain.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
Syphilis? I can say with absolute certainty it's NOT syphilis. For the past year I've been as sexually active as the Pope, which isn't much to brag about but it obviously rules out STDs.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Like others have said: don't trust the internet to diagnose your condition.
I had a sore back near my tonsil. Was a PAIN. Couldn't eat. I looked it up on the internet, and it told me that it was most likely cancer. I went and got it checked. It was just an ulcer, caused by herpes simplex 1 virus. Scientific talk for cold sore or canker sore. I got some "magic mouthwash" with lidocaine in it, and it treated the symptoms until the ulcer went away on its own.
As far as leukoplakia goes, I was under the impression that it was mostly chewing tobacco users who got that.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Have you humped any legs or licked your own scrotal area? piece of work Peck! :rofl:

I have a sweet tooth that flairs up now and again, I have a thing for Wonkas Bottle Caps and Gobstoppers. When I eat too much of those....nearly every time I eat them, I get sore white patches in my mouth that take over a week to abate. Ascorbic acid is the culpret.

Seek a Doctors advice.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

PS: Syphilis take years to show it's ugly head. Could of ate a bad one a long time ago ya know.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I wish you well and agree with the others, seeing a professional will answer a lot more questions than google can. I've freaked myself out many a time that way haha.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Jazzlover - I think you're smart to get it looked at by your dentist.
It sucks if so, but it does sound like a red flag and better to know early on than later. I'd hate to give up my pipe smoking, but things change and sometimes we have to adjust.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Have you humped any legs or licked your own scrotal area?
:rofl:
p.s.

Peck's responses were cracking me up but I want to make clear that we're not laughing at your situation.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Most of the scare is not knowing and imagining. The internet is fine for somethings, but go to your dentist and ease your mind. Best wishes.
Peck, I bet your mom developed a nervous twitch when you were a kid! :roll:

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
Peck: I hope you're simply trying to be funny rather than callous. However, given the circumstances, I find your humor to be in poor taste. Please try to be more considerate in the future.
To all others: Thanks for your kind words. I just switched dental insurance companies so I have to deal with some red tape before I can set up an appointment but I'm not going to allow the end of the month to go by before I see a dentist.
Frankly, I'm convinced it's leukoplakia. The cause and the symptoms fit like a glove. Until my examination, I'm going to console myself with the fact that leukoplakia is non-cancerous in 99 percent of the cases.
This is my last post on this subject. There's obviously no point in obsessing over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.