PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I recently bought some 1oz samples of Gawith Hoggarth blends. Tonight I smoked the Dark Bird's Eye in a meerschaum. The only other I have tried was the Coniston Cut Plug. The DBE largely tasted the way I thought the CCP was going to taste based on the CCP's tin note (or jar scent in this case).

I won't get deep into the whole smoke, but I did notice a few things. I almost never drink soda anymore, but I had a Sprite with the smoke and it actually seemed like that worked well. Also, this tobacco seemed strong (in a good way) to me. I tasted that Lakeland flavor like I did in the CCP (although it seemed a bit lighter), but I also tasted some fine tobacco this time.

The other thing of note was what happened next. After I finished the bowl, I soon started smoking some Stokkebye Cube Cut. I was getting some strong DBE flavors, it really seemed I had ghosted my mouth. Mostly that Lakeland flavor. I had heard of it happening to briar pipes, but had not heard as much about the mouth taste lingering. I guess that is some strong aftertaste.

It was short lived, a few more swigs of the Sprite and it was gone. I am not complaining; given the relative prices of the two tobaccos, Cube Cut tasting like the DBE puts me money ahead.

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
I ghosted my mouth the first time I tried Ennerdale (the pipe, too). I don't recall doing anything special to get rid of it. I think I just smoked it out. It only happened that one time.

Reactions: edger and Ryan
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
A way to avoid ghosting your mouth is to smoke the tobacco as you would a wine flight or beer sampler - from lighter flavors to darker and stronger flavors (white to red with wine, or pilsner to porter with beer).

@hoosierpipeguy wrote about his method with flakes.

Doing so prevents the stronger flavors from overpowering the nuisances of lighter/delicate blends. Others enjoy stronger smokes/drinks first.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
When I first started, I only smoked on the weekends. I found that the tobacco smelled and tasted better when I took some days off. Now I smoke maybe three time per week or maybe less. Perhaps taking breaks makes the times we can smoke more enjoyable.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
A way to avoid ghosting your mouth is to smoke the tobacco as you would a wine flight or beer sampler - from lighter flavors to darker and stronger flavors (white to red with wine, or pilsner to porter with beer).

@hoosierpipeguy wrote about his method with flakes.

Doing so prevents the stronger flavors from overpowering the nuisances of lighter/delicate blends. Others enjoy stronger smokes/drinks first.
Yup, it works, I usually smoke the lighter or more delicate blends early in the day, leaving the power hitters for later.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I have yet to smoke a Lakeland blend. Mostly because there have been a few estate pipes I've bought that were ghosted with it and I didn't at all care for the taste/smell and had a heck of a time exorcising the ghosts. I suppose this thread points out another reason for me not to. But I'm glad others enjoy it... unless I end up with one of their pipes lol

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Yes, I mentioned the aftertaste in the post. The ghosted part was a more fun way to describe it.
I liked the description and am glad you enjoyed the experience. Smoking different blends throughout the day or mixing blends can be an art or just a routine. Whatever you like, as long as you‘re enjoying it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
FWIW, I taste the Lakeland in this blend a little less each time I smoke it. I noticed it the most in a meer, in briar not as much. Seems like a light background note now. Either I am getting used to it or the stuff has settled down a bit? Either way, this blend has become one of my favorites, I stocked up on it a bit. This stuff is good!