PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ll take a look. 1792 is available in Japan I think. Bob’s isn’t. Actually, 1792 could be the only one available.
ETA: 1792 isn’t available either. None of those are, unfortunately. I spent a lot on aromatics. I think I’ll jar them and come back to them down the line. I went a little nuts and now I’ve a lot. I just ordered non-A Virginia flakes. I’m gonna give A’s a rest. I really would say to any beginner: start with non-A’s. Or maybe it’s just me. I totally understand the directions people have givens about it. I still can’t seem to o pull it off. Maybe I’ll do better after a break from it.

Let me recommend an idea for you.

In the USA there are a variety of inexpensive extremely mild aromatic cavendish type tobaccos available I smoke all day at my office.

The aroma is very pleasing to non smokers. My legal assistants ask me to light up.

The most popular candy flavored cavendish tobaccos is likely Lane BCA, a black cavendish. But any American blend that reads Cherry Cavendish, Blackberry Cavendish, Peach Cavendish, etc etc is going to be wet, mild, easy on the tongue and pleasing for others to smell.

The most aromatic of them I’ve found is Sutliff Creme Brulee.

Another similar option is any American OTC or “drugstore brand”. All the old standard brands that used to be sold at every drug store have pleasing room notes, and all are easy to smoke.

My favorite American OTC is Half and Half. But the most popular may be Prince Albert, Velvet, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Carter Hall, likely in that order.

Reactions: Briar Tuck and milk

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Than
Let me recommend an idea for you.

In the USA there are a variety of inexpensive extremely mild aromatic cavendish type tobaccos available I smoke all day at my office.

The aroma is very pleasing to non smokers. My legal assistants ask me to light up.

The most popular candy flavored cavendish tobaccos is likely Lane BCA, a black cavendish. But any American blend that reads Cherry Cavendish, Blackberry Cavendish, Peach Cavendish, etc etc is going to be wet, mild, easy on the tongue and pleasing for others to smell.

The most aromatic of them I’ve found is Sutliff Creme Brulee.

Another similar option is any American OTC or “drugstore brand”. All the old standard brands that used to be sold at every drug store have pleasing room notes, and all are easy to smoke.

My favorite American OTC is Half and Half. But the most popular may be Prince Albert, Velvet, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Carter Hall, likely in that order.
Thanks so much for the recommendations. Really. I have to thank everyone here for taking the time on this. I spent a lot of money buying aromatics and my wife is a little miffed (I bought Solani Red, Connoisseur, Mac Vanilla, Kendall Cream). At this point, I’m going to smoke Best Brown Flake and Peterson (Dunhill) Flake for a bit and then go back to the stuff I already invested in. I hope I can learn to enjoy it. I guess it’s just finding the right humidity level. I guess I cannot buy any more aromatics now but I may take a look and see if anything you recommended is available in Japan. Most of it probably isn’t but there might be a couple. Half and Half is available but I see it is so poorly reviewed on tobacco reviews, especially by some of my go-to reviewers. Not that I wouldn’t try it but, yeah, I’ve already spent a lot on Aros. I will come back to your list though. I should learn to smoke what I bought, AFTER some time with non-A’s.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Than

Thanks so much for the recommendations. Really. I have to thank everyone here for taking the time on this. I spent a lot of money buying aromatics and my wife is a little miffed (I bought Solani Red, Connoisseur, Mac Vanilla, Kendall Cream). At this point, I’m going to smoke Best Brown Flake and Peterson (Dunhill) Flake for a bit and then go back to the stuff I already invested in. I hope I can learn to enjoy it. I guess it’s just finding the right humidity level. I guess I cannot buy any more aromatics now but I may take a look and see if anything you recommended is available in Japan. Most of it probably isn’t but there might be a couple. Half and Half is available but I see it is so poorly reviewed on tobacco reviews, especially by some of my go-to reviewers. Not that I wouldn’t try it but, yeah, I’ve already spent a lot on Aros. I will come back to your list though. I should learn to smoke what I bought, AFTER some time with non-A’s.
Why Half and Half is poorly reviewed is reviewers have refined palates. The American OTC blends are like our Wrigley’s chewing gum or popular candy bars, made to sell to millions of brand loyal customers.

When they were made, there were two things every huge manufacturer knew kept men away from pipes, tongue bite and others complaining about the smell.

The old advertisements, tell the story.

D05BB4DC-FE11-478D-BBC3-9C892FB97093.jpegE11D6544-0F07-4E95-800E-32C4EF40BB69.jpeg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
(I bought Solani Red, Connoisseur, Mac Vanilla, Kendall Cream). At this point, I’m going to smoke Best Brown Flake and Peterson (Dunhill) Flake for a bit and then go back to the stuff I already invested in.
Have you tried the Kendal Cream yet? I’d think that would definitely be a success for you: true tobacco flavor, along with an “interesting” aromatic scent/flavor. I’ve never struggled with moisture with it…but, then, I’ve never gone to any special lengths to smoke FVF either. For me, it’s perfect straight out of the tin.

I don’t know if they’re available to you, but you might enjoy both SG’s Perfection and Navy Flake. Both are excellent blends that feature just a touch of latakia, along with added flavorings (vanilla and rum, respectively).

Although your focus has been on flakes, I’m also going to recommend two GLPease blends: Laurel Heights (a straight Virginia) and Haddo’s Delight (a Virginia/Perique).

Finally, I’d suggest trying a dark-stoved Virginia. My go-to is Dark Star, but that’s no longer produced; maybe others here could suggest current equivalents. My reasoning, though, is that stoving can bring out deeper flavors for you (with Dark Star, my mind goes straight to a rich vanilla), while also offering a rich aroma for those around us. I find it a wonderfully satisfying smoke.

Reactions: Briar Tuck and milk
I've found that the room note after a day with aromatics to turn to ass. Even the best smelling vanillas will seem to turn acrid overnight, whereas a nice subtle Virginia will maintain a pleasant aroma that my family likes. A nice compromise might be something not so goopy or heavily laden with topping. The codger OTC blends might fit the bill. Walter Raleigh or Prince Albert... or maybe PS Cube Cut or one of the milder burleys like Newminster 702 Light Burley, or Sutliff (if you like their casings) J4 Mild Burley.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I've found that the room note after a day with aromatics to turn to ass. Even the best smelling vanillas will seem to turn acrid overnight, whereas a nice subtle Virginia will maintain a pleasant aroma that my family likes. A nice compromise might be something not so goopy or heavily laden with topping. The codger OTC blends might fit the bill. Walter Raleigh or Prince Albert... or maybe PS Cube Cut or one of the milder burleys like Newminster 702 Light Burley, or Sutliff (if you like their casings) J4 Mild Burley.
The candy flavored Cavendish tobaccos I smoke in my office constantly smell good the morning after.

I switched to Cavendish candy flavored tobaccos about thirty some years ago when I had a client who smoked Amphora Full Aromatic, and my legal assistants all smiled and welcomed him every time he came to the office, and I could tell he was there when I walked in.

They aren’t for the connoisseur.

But as I watched the guy’s wife writing prescriptions to my office assistants for what tobacco to buy their men, I didn’t forget it.:)

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Hmm. Are you smoking inside, anywhere you like, or a designated room?

Personally, I can't help you with the Aros, as I have yet to master the art of successfully smoking and enjoying a typical aromatic due to all the things you mentioned.

I smoke inside all day long. But I'm relegated to my room. I have a ventilation system which keeps the smoke from leaving my room.

If you're smoking anywhere in the house, you might just try smoking what you want... and keep your mouth shut.

If pressed about the room note:

"It's pipe tobacco. The various blends produce a variety of room notes depending on the type of tobacco variety, condimental tobaccos additions, casings, and or toppings, this is just one of them!
What ventilation are you using? I’d like to set up similar

Another good trick is to take your wife to pick out a tobacco. At the very beginning of my pipe smoking, I took Mrs Cosmic to The Briary to pick one out, when the shops would have open tins for people to sniff. (side note: then they would allow people to sample from the open tins and you could buy them for a fraction of the price) But, she picked out Stanwell's Melange. I smoked a few bowls of it, and eventually I dumped the tin and put some straight Virginias or a VaPer in the tin. Then every time Mrs Cosmic would say something about the smell, I would say, "but Dear, you picked this one out, see... there's the tin."
That worked until I got her hooked on listening to Brian on the PipeMagazine radio show with me. Then eventually, we both could discuss tobaccos and components like reasonable adults. YMMV

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Why Half and Half is poorly reviewed is reviewers have refined palates. The American OTC blends are like our Wrigley’s chewing gum or popular candy bars, made to sell to millions of brand loyal customers.

When they were made, there were two things every huge manufacturer knew kept men away from pipes, tongue bite and others complaining about the smell.

The old advertisements, tell the story.

View attachment 192570View attachment 192572
Thanks for posting these awesome ads. I love this stuff. They really do make me want to get some and they must be doing something right to still be around! I’d like to see more old ads, especially for blends that are still on the market (but not only those). We should have a thread for this!
Have you tried the Kendal Cream yet? I’d think that would definitely be a success for you: true tobacco flavor, along with an “interesting” aromatic scent/flavor. I’ve never struggled with moisture with it…but, then, I’ve never gone to any special lengths to smoke FVF either. For me, it’s perfect straight out of the tin.

I don’t know if they’re available to you, but you might enjoy both SG’s Perfection and Navy Flake. Both are excellent blends that feature just a touch of latakia, along with added flavorings (vanilla and rum, respectively).

Although your focus has been on flakes, I’m also going to recommend two GLPease blends: Laurel Heights (a straight Virginia) and Haddo’s Delight (a Virginia/Perique).

Finally, I’d suggest trying a dark-stoved Virginia. My go-to is Dark Star, but that’s no longer produced; maybe others here could suggest current equivalents. My reasoning, though, is that stoving can bring out deeper flavors for you (with Dark Star, my mind goes straight to a rich vanilla), while also offering a rich aroma for those around us. I find it a wonderfully satisfying smoke.
Actually, The KC is the one I have in the tin but haven’t really tried yet. SG navy isn’t available but I’ll note “Perfection” because that one is (in Japan). Unfortunately, GLPease is very limited here.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Another good trick is to take your wife to pick out a tobacco. At the very beginning of my pipe smoking, I took Mrs Cosmic to The Briary to pick one out, when the shops would have open tins for people to sniff. (side note: then they would allow people to sample from the open tins and you could buy them for a fraction of the price) But, she picked out Stanwell's Melange. I smoked a few bowls of it, and eventually I dumped the tin and put some straight Virginias or a VaPer in the tin. Then every time Mrs Cosmic would say something about the smell, I would say, "but Dear, you picked this one out, see... there's the tin."
That worked until I got her hooked on listening to Brian on the PipeMagazine radio show with me. Then eventually, we both could discuss tobaccos and components like reasonable adults. YMMV
That’s funny. I recently noticed Melange because it’s available in Japan (I think I’ve read the review of on “Tobacco Reviews” of almost every non-English tobacco sold in Japan) but, yeah, I’m liking your advice about just sticking with a Virginias.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I didn’t have so much trouble with Virginias but I think I smoked them rather dry. Is there anyone that says to new pipe smokers to just avoid aromatics altogether? I think this should be a rule. Really. Aromatics need fine-tuning. It’s almost expert level IMO. All new pipe smokers should know that aromatics are not really for new pipe smokers. I just never tried them the first few years I smoked. I always smoked Virginias or some non-A blend.
I'm not sure there is a need for a "rule" to validate your negative experience.

I see it a little differently. If you could navigate Virginias without ever having an issue with "bite" or moisture it's just a matter of figuring it out, IMO. I started out with aros and lighter English and burley and I get more out of aros now than I did then, but that is the same with all tobaccos, honestly. Too wet, too tight, chasing the flavor with aggressive technique . . . been there, but been there with other blends as well. I'm a lot more Virginia "biased" now than I was and honestly I think trying to figure out flakes and getting it right to enjoy Virginias has helped me all the way around, including with aros. Maybe you are remembering those good old flake days a little too wonderfully - flakes take some drying as well and still a matter of feel and experience in terms of drying.

Watch @Chasing Embers videos on pipe packing, maybe read some threads on that in general and drying (tons of 'em), experiment a little more. Nothing wrong with abandoning aros in favor of something else if that's what you want to do and if that's what it takes, but you'll still have to get the handle on moisture and technique, which I still work on, try to figure out, all the time - still not "second nature" all the time here for sure, and I can't claim any expertise!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Ah! You are in Japan. And since you are a sensibly polite individual, won't like to be unfriendly to neighbors. Is it true you can't smoke in public area in Tokyo? I find that somewhat a silly law from normally logical people. Anyway, Virginia can bite as well as aromatics. Your best bet is to find out a way to determine dryness of the optimal humidity for your tobacco. A lot of folks will go back to aromatic later, or so I have been told.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm not sure there is a need for a "rule" to validate your negative experience.

I see it a little differently. If you could navigate Virginias without ever having an issue with "bite" or moisture it's just a matter of figuring it out, IMO. I started out with aros and lighter English and burley and I get more out of aros now than I did then, but that is the same with all tobaccos, honestly. Too wet, too tight, chasing the flavor with aggressive technique . . . been there, but been there with other blends as well. I'm a lot more Virginia "biased" now than I was and honestly I think trying to figure out flakes and getting it right to enjoy Virginias has helped me all the way around, including with aros. Maybe you are remembering those good old flake days a little too wonderfully - flakes take some drying as well and still a matter of feel and experience in terms of drying.

Watch @Chasing Embers videos on pipe packing, maybe read some threads on that in general and drying (tons of 'em), experiment a little more. Nothing wrong with abandoning aros in favor of something else if that's what you want to do and if that's what it takes, but you'll still have to get the handle on moisture and technique, which I still work on, try to figure out, all the time - still not "second nature" all the time here for sure, and I can't claim any expertise!
I’ll just add that there isn’t one approach that works for all aromatics. You may need to spend time getting to know how to wring the most out of each individual blend. It shouldn’t take an entire tin—and you may still discover that a blend just isn’t what you’re looking for—but I’d suggest seeing where you are after 10 pipes or so. (For me, that would be about half a 2oz tin.)

As a side note... we no longer tell people that smoke aromatics that aromatics suck. This is verboten... because the sissies that smoke them would get their panties all bunched up in the crack. puffy
I'm just kidding. I joke, I joke... it's nice for people to have an alternative to real tobaccos when they can't stand the taste of real tobaccos. puffy