Done with Aromatics…?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I cracked a tin of CAO Eileen's Dream in anticipation of St. Patrick's Day and had a bowl this morning in my trusty Legend cob, all the while thinking "WHERE is the flavor?".
Sorry to hear. Eileens dream is a go to aro for me. So much chocolate vanilla and tobacco on my palate. And it’s cheap at under $10 a tin. I’ll be smoking a bowl before bed tonight

Reactions: Lumbridge

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Sorry to hear. Eileens dream is a go to aro for me. So much chocolate vanilla and tobacco on my palate. And it’s cheap at under $10 a tin. I’ll be smoking a bowl before bed tonight
I'm going to give it to the end of the tin to change my mind. I definitely liked it more after drying some overnight. It dialed the toppings back a notch and brought the tobaccos more to the forefront. I get a lot more of the citrusy Virginia now and the burn improved.

I also picked up a tin of Moontrance at the same time. Any opinion on that one?

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think I’ve learned to avoid tongue-bite also but, also, don’t like aromatics much. I recently made a big mistake which was accepting a free tin of St Patrick’s reserve with a new Peterson I ordered. I just realize that I’m gonna get hit with a huge tax by the Japanese gov. (I’ve lived in Japan for many years). Yeah, I don’t like aromatics much. Or maybe I just need to try aromatics that are light on casing and tobacco forward? What aromatics are like that? How about Bothy Flake? How about Royal Yacht?
That's an aromatic I like a lot. The St Patrick's reserve is way better and more complicated then they describe it as being. It's certainly aromatic but I can still taste the tobacco and I always use the cocktail metaphor. Some aromatics are rum and coke or something like that. Something that makes the alcohol taste less like alcohol. Others are more like a Manhattan or Martini where it's just a enough stuff to change the liquor but leave it as the star. Then there are things in between the two. Like a splash of ginger ale in mediocre whiskey (if you do that with a good one.........there is a special slot in purgatory for you), where you still really taste both things. The Reserve is in between. You certainly get the aromatic qualities but it's easy to pick out what leaf types they use.

Reactions: milk
I'm going to give it to the end of the tin to change my mind. I definitely liked it more after drying some overnight. It dialed the toppings back a notch and brought the tobaccos more to the forefront. I get a lot more of the citrusy Virginia now and the burn improved.
Maybe try it out a a briar? Whenever I smoke a cob I taste the cob itself. I don't mind it as it is sweet to me but maybe it's affecting the flavor? Dunno?

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Maybe try it out a a briar? Whenever I smoke a cob I taste the cob itself. I don't mind it as it is sweet to me but maybe it's affecting the flavor? Dunno?
I might do that. I do have one briar assigned to aromatic duty.
I've never noticed much of a taste with cobs... maybe a little with the varnished ones when they're new.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@milk have you read this article about Aromatics?

Not all Aromatics are goopy wet tongue bite, can’t taste any tobacco but cherry vanilla etc...

Look at Samuel Gawith Grousemoor, KBV Sakura, or Silem’s Black.

Reactions: milk

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
There are several reasons. First, it’s winter and it’s cold and windy. Second, my neighbor has some silly ideas and will become unfriendly if I sit in front of my house and smoke.
I'd tell the neighbors to go fornicate themselves. Once people realize that you're crazier than they are, life becomes much easier. Also helps not giving a rats ass what anybody else thinks. Try yelling obscenities at them while wearing a mustard stained undershirt, boxers and holding a Scotch...around 6 am. If you don't have boxers tighty whities will work. Let the left one hang out for the full effect.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan

Not all Aromatics are goopy wet tongue bite, can’t taste any tobacco but cherry vanilla etc...

This is fascinating - thanks so much. I’m going to have to study this. As to SGs, I’ll look into these. I already have Bothy flake which is a strange one and a good one I think, but not typical probably. I’ll look into the ones you mentioned. I’m drifting towards English blends though.

Reactions: PipeIT

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan

I noticed along time ago that that Japanese aromatic had great reviews (and it’s easy to get here in Japan where I live) but I’m kind of drifting towards English. Unfortunately the Sillem’s is more difficult to find. That looks very interesting. ETA: I made a mistake. I thought Sakura was Momoyama. I hadn’t known Sakura. Huh.

Reactions: PipeIT