PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
…and my family is going to suffer (with the smell of non-A’s) I guess. I’m just no good at this and I know it probably comes down to bad technique. I had smoked Virginia tobaccos for a few years and had few or no problems. At that time, I mostly enjoyed stuff like Full Virginia Flake, and University Flake. I quit pipe-smoking for a few years. Now I’ve come back to pipe smoking and I’ve started out with aromatics because of the family and my needing to smoke indoors. At first, I got a lot of flavor from aromatics but then the problems started. Of course I’ve been having tongue bite like I’ve never had it before. But I’ve also had a problem of flavor and getting the humidity just right. It seems like all these tobaccos I’ve tried (Solani Red, Blue Note, Mac Vanilla Cream) provided me great flavor at first but then have no flavor when they’re too dry or too wet. I feel very frustrated with not being able to tell the exact right state they are supposed to be in and I feel like plain old flakes were never this finicky. I’ve really been trying hard with all these aromatics I’ve bought. I’ve even been jarring them with Boveda at 62%. If they’re too wet, I steam my tongue; if they’re too dry, there’s just no flavor at all. Should I just come back to these aromatics later? My mouth is in pretty bad shape. They’ve got me really frustrated. They just seem so fussy to me. I know experienced smokers can get it just right by the feel of it. I can tell when it’s very wet or very dry but I’m not at the point where I can get it exactly right and the smoke is thus unenjoyable. I’m thinking of going back to those days I fondly remember with my plain flakes. Maybe I’ll try Best Brown Flake or Peterson’s (Dunhill?) Flake which seem to have less offensive room notes than stronger Virginias or those English varieties I never got around to trying (I guess those are out if I don’t want my family to kick me out of the house?).

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
62% might be a bit high—you might do better in the mid 50s. Because many aromatics have PG, you probably may not even need the Boveda. It sounds like you're definitely smoking too hot.
I thought so but it seems like when I dry it a bit if I overshoot, I lose all flavor completely. Maybe I just need more patience. Do you think aromatics are fussier? Or is it just me that’s doing something wrong?

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Hmm. Are you smoking inside, anywhere you like, or a designated room?

Personally, I can't help you with the Aros, as I have yet to master the art of successfully smoking and enjoying a typical aromatic due to all the things you mentioned.

I smoke inside all day long. But I'm relegated to my room. I have a ventilation system which keeps the smoke from leaving my room.

If you're smoking anywhere in the house, you might just try smoking what you want... and keep your mouth shut.

If pressed about the room note:

"It's pipe tobacco. The various blends produce a variety of room notes depending on the type of tobacco variety, condimental tobaccos additions, casings, and or toppings, this is just one of them!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I thought so but it seems like when I dry it a bit if I overshoot, I lose all flavor completely. Maybe I just need more patience. Do you think aromatics are fussier? Or is it just me that’s doing something wrong?

I think @Chasing Embers is correct when he asserts that aromatics are better suited to more advanced technique and kind of a mistake that it's often pushed on people just starting out with pipes. Because aromatics tend to be wetter due to the propylene glycol, it's easy to scorch one's tongue by puffing too hard—the tobacco is moist to begin with and as a side product of combustion, you're going to get steam, which will burn your tongue when drawing hard and fast. When the tobacco burns too hot, you'll lose much flavour. Spend more time trying different levels of drying; patience and slowing your cadence can only help (with all tobaccos, but, especially aromatics). I'm surprised you had success with Full Virginia Flake. That tobacco ships so moist, it's impossible to keep lit unless you dry it a lot (for me, hours and hours, not minutes like most blends); it's like asbestos and easy to fry your tongue trying to puff away just getting it lit if you don't dry it sufficiently. So, yes, aromatics can be fussy and you probably need to dry more, and go slower.

Last edited:

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Boswell Pipes & Tobacco make a few aromatic blends that are very flavorful and quite easy on the tongue.

Consider the aptly named No Bite Delite, or if you enjoy chocolate, Piper's Pleasure

Both are available as affordable bulk blends, and the room note is very agreeable.

They have many more aromatic blends for sale on Their website. I am just listing those two as I have them in my current rotation and feel confident recommending them.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Hmm. Are you smoking inside, anywhere you like, or a designated room?

Personally, I can't help you with the Aros, as I have yet to master the art of successfully smoking and enjoying a typical aromatic due to all the things you mentioned.

I smoke inside all day long. But I'm relegated to my room. I have a ventilation system which keeps the smoke from leaving my room.

If you're smoking anywhere in the house, you might just try smoking what you want... and keep your mouth shut.

If pressed about the room note:

"It's pipe tobacco. The various blends produce a variety of room notes depending on the type of tobacco variety, condimental tobaccos additions, casings, and or toppings, this is just one of them!
I have an office. It’s possible to improve what I have for ventilation. Right now I have a small fan pointing out the window for suction and another bigger fan inside the room. I don’t think it works great. It’s OK but I think my family will tolerate non-A’s anyway. The A’s do smell nice and I can smell them all downstairs so I feel a bit sorry. Maybe I’ll just come back to them later on. I find them very hard to figure out. I understand the advice but I find the advice very hard to implement. Maybe when I dried tobacco, I over-dried.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I think @Chasing Embers is correct when he asserts that aromatics are better suited to more advanced technique and kind of a mistake that it's often pushed on people just starting out with pipes. Because aromatics tend to be wetter due to the propylene glycol, it's easy to scorch one's tongue by puffing too hard—the tobacco is moist to begin with and as a side product of combustion, you're going to get steam, which will burn your tongue when drawing hard and fast. When the tobacco burns too hot, you'll lose much flavour. Spend more time trying different levels of drying; patience and slowing your cadence can only help (with all tobaccos, but, especially aromatics). I'm surprised you had success with Full Virginia Flake. That tobacco ships so moist, it's impossible to keep lit unless you dry it a lot (for me, hours and hours, not minutes like most blends); it's like asbestos and easy to fry your tongue trying to puff away just getting it lit if you don't dry it sufficiently. So, yes, aromatics can be fussy and you probably need to dry more, and go slower.
Maybe I dried them well enough. Doesn’t it seem like FVF taste good even when a little dry? I smoked other Virginias and Virginia blends as well. I seem to remember liking Irish Flake and University Flake. Seems like aromatics lose all flavor very easily?

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Boswell Pipes & Tobacco make a few aromatic blends that are very flavorful and quite easy on the tongue.

Consider the aptly named No Bite Delite, or if you enjoy chocolate, Piper's Pleasure

Both are available as affordable bulk blends, and the room note is very agreeable.

They have many more aromatic blends for sale on Their website. I am just listing those two as I have them in my current rotation and feel confident recommending them.
It’s too bad these brands are difficult to get where I am in Japan. I broke down today and ordered Peterson Flake (which I think was Dunhill) and SG’s Best Brown today. I think I need to get back into just enjoying the pipe. These aromatics got me frustrated. I understand they can’t be wet but I don’t think they’re good if even a little too dry either.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Maybe I dried them well enough. Doesn’t it seem like FVF taste good even when a little dry? I smoked other Virginias and Virginia blends as well. I seem to remember liking Irish Flake and University Flake. Seems like aromatics lose all flavor very easily?

I find most Virginias work close to crispy. As you smoke, steam is going to rehydrate the tobacco some, so the tobacco being dry works.

With the aromatics, maybe try different drying times (using a timer), test the feel with your fingers, and smoke. Repeat and get a sense of what combo smokes best for you. It comes down to experimenting and trial and error. There are so many variables at play—the relative humidity in your area will play a role.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I find most Virginias work close to crispy. As you smoke, steam is going to rehydrate the tobacco some, so the tobacco being dry works.

With the aromatics, maybe try different drying times (using a timer), test the feel with your fingers, and smoke. Repeat and get a sense of what combo smokes best for you. It comes down to experimenting and trial and error. There are so many variables at play—the relative humidity in your area will play a role.
That makes sense. I think with me, I get frustrated the first time there’s no flavor and start over. I get easily frustrated. Maybe I should smoke Virginias and try aromatics once a week. It’s no good trying to do when I’m frustrated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That makes sense. I think with me, I get frustrated the first time there’s no flavor and start over. I get easily frustrated. Maybe I should smoke Virginias and try aromatics once a week. It’s no good trying to do when I’m frustrated.
If you're very new, I'd stick with more entry level blends like English or burley. It takes little effort to get flavor from them.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
If you're very new, I'd stick with more entry level blends like English or burley. It takes little effort to get flavor from them.
I didn’t have so much trouble with Virginias but I think I smoked them rather dry. Is there anyone that says to new pipe smokers to just avoid aromatics altogether? I think this should be a rule. Really. Aromatics need fine-tuning. It’s almost expert level IMO. All new pipe smokers should know that aromatics are not really for new pipe smokers. I just never tried them the first few years I smoked. I always smoked Virginias or some non-A blend.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
It’s too bad these brands are difficult to get where I am in Japan. I broke down today and ordered Peterson Flake (which I think was Dunhill) and SG’s Best Brown today. I think I need to get back into just enjoying the pipe. These aromatics got me frustrated. I understand they can’t be wet but I don’t think they’re good if even a little too dry either.
Why not try some Lakeland blends many of which are aromatic. For example 1792 flake, rum flake, ennerdale flake, Bob's chocolate flake

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Why not try some Lakeland blends many of which are aromatic. For example 1792 flake, rum flake, ennerdale flake, Bob's chocolate flake
I’ll take a look. 1792 is available in Japan I think. Bob’s isn’t. Actually, 1792 could be the only one available.
ETA: 1792 isn’t available either. None of those are, unfortunately. I spent a lot on aromatics. I think I’ll jar them and come back to them down the line. I went a little nuts and now I’ve a lot. I just ordered non-A Virginia flakes. I’m gonna give A’s a rest. I really would say to any beginner: start with non-A’s. Or maybe it’s just me. I totally understand the directions people have givens about it. I still can’t seem to o pull it off. Maybe I’ll do better after a break from it.

Last edited: