PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

While driving around scouting out tobacco shops farther afield, I spotted a unicorn. This was not the unicorn of myth and legend. It was a pipe smoker! You heard that correctly, a pipe smoker is a unicorn. Once, long ago, unicorns roamed the land. While never large in numbers, their presence was not beyond doubt. As the age has waned, and the evils of fashion and law have grown, the number of unicorns shrank to the point where they can only be spied in smoky rooms in far away places. Yet today, while busy on my way, a unicorn passed my way. A billiard was in play as it rode away.

It is like that, spotting one of our kind smoking away in public too.

Last edited by a moderator:

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Nice. I believe the last two times I saw pipe smokers in the wild was when I was living in Northern California, in 2018. Outside of San Francisco (I think it was Berkeley area) an older man was walking through a shopping center with a pipe in his mouth. It might have been Marty Pulvers for all I know, and the tobacco smelled great. I had just started pipe smoking that summer, so it was rather unremarkable to me as I figured there were more of us. There was another guy in Vacaville that would sit out on his front porch in downtown and puff a pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

While driving around scouting out tobacco shops farther afield, I spotted a unicorn. This was not the unicorn of myth and legend. It was a pipe smoker! You heard that correctly, a pipe smoker is a unicorn. Once, long ago, unicorns roamed the land. While never large in numbers, their presence was not beyond doubt. As the age has waned, and the evils of fashion and law have grown, the number of unicorns shrank to the point where they can only be spied in smoky rooms in far away places. Yet today, while busy on my way, a unicorn passed my way. A billiard was in play as it rode away.

Go to Central Kentucky. Smokers of all kinds abound unharassed and unashamed. My company alone is 60% smokers and six, including myself, are pipe smokers.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I live in rural Northern CA. I am a unicorn (but not a snow flake). I did see another pipe smoker, once, within the city limits of my small po-dunk rural town. I would have said "hey", but he was smoking his pipe while pumping gas. Safety first... I guess natural selection had not yet done its magic.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I live in a small town (pop. 7600) and I see one on occasion drive past my house, always with a pipe in his mouth.

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a rare species with no known habitat, possibly blown off course during migration and striving to survive as an invasive species. Don't talk it up, or people will show up with binoculars.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Being a proud snowflake:] I am always amazed at a unicorn sighting. It has been about 5 years since I last spied one.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I’ve seen about 10 unicorns here in my home town of Toronto, Canada, over the last ten yrs. now that I count them up, more than I thought at first... And one of those was none other than myself, catching a glimpse of my own reflection in the sacred pool...

• Haha
Reactions: cornedbeef

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

Was the sighting thrilling? :)

I see several a week when I am walking in town.

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
I thought you might have seen esoterica tobaccos for sale somewhere.

i'll just keep on waiting.

• Haha
Reactions: bent1