PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Woodsman

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2022
Hi everyone,

I have several pipes now after returning to the past-time after some years. I have Falcons to Peterson's....but the one that I seem to get on with is a Falcon Coolway 23. Why? Well, the smoke (regardless of the leaf) seems richer and more enjoyable down to about halfway down the bowl. Then it all seems to go wrong, it starts to get hot, bitter and definitely less of a pleasurable experience. This seems to be the case quicker with the other pipes, just slower with the Falcon. I think I am packing the bowl correctly - using the three stage method (small amount at the bottom, gently tampered, the next pinch tampered a little firmer and the last pinch a little harder again… so what am I doing that dictates I seem to be having to throw away the last third of each bowl I smoke?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
If you are smoking aromatics, they tend to be more moist so don't pack as firmly. The tobacco has to be able to get air. Also you are not in a race so take your time and sip, don't puff massive clouds of smoke. Don't suck on the pipe like you are trying to get a golf ball through a water hose. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You're doing something to get the tobacco too hot. Probably smoking too fast but poor packing, usually too tight, can cause that. Also, tobacco being too moist will contribute, especially if you're guilty of the other two previously mentioned issues. Bottom line, if the tobacco gets too hot, especially Virginia or Oriental, it will get bitter and ashy tasting.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I had an issue with a pipe that I thought I had lost in a move similar to yours. It had been in an old cigar box for years when I found it, and smoked sour once it warmed up. Of course, I didn’t clean it thoroughly before it got stored long term. After a deep cleaning with alcohol and a rest, it was fine. Just a thought.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Dry your tobacco more. Dry it till it's no longer cool to touch, and not sticking when a bit is pinched. After packing, do a draw test. It shouldn't have any resistance or very little.

Next time this problem occurs, run a cleaner all the way to the bottom of the chamber. Then dump the ash. Run cleaner through the stem and other area to clean out the moisture.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Tha 3-step packing is THE WORST advice any new pipe smoker can be given 😡
Absolute tosh - a bad smoke is almost always guaranteed
This is correct. I've never had luck with it. I just gently fill, tamp lightly, and fill with whatever space is left. Gently.

No loose, tighter, tightest B.S. It doesn't matter how lightly you tamp the first part, if you tamp the last bit tighter, the rest follows suit.

Old_Woodsman

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2022
Well, just filled my Falcon Coolway with some lovely Pertersons 'My Mixture 965'. This time I used the 'Frank Method'....WHAT DIFFERENCE!!!
  • Stays lit longer
  • Cooler smoke
  • Uses much less tobacco - I am probably getting two bowls to what used to be one now
  • I can really taste the tobacco now
One more question if I can please? How many bowls a day is an average? I mean I tend to smoke and leave to go back later.

Thanks again!

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Well, just filled my Falcon Coolway with some lovely Pertersons 'My Mixture 965'. This time I used the 'Frank Method'....WHAT DIFFERENCE!!!
  • Stays lit longer
  • Cooler smoke
  • Uses much less tobacco - I am probably getting two bowls to what used to be one now
  • I can really taste the tobacco now
One more question if I can please? How many bowls a day is an average? I mean I tend to smoke and leave to go back later.

Thanks again!
There is no average. Smoke as you please. There's days I don't smoke anything and theres days I smoke up to 3. All up to you.

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
Yeah and if you're new and go to YouTube or Google it's the first method you see! Terrible method!
Even though the 3-step packing is not a good method to fill a pipe, before YouTube, Google or even the internet, the 3-step was always the recommended method. Even the tobacconist in pipe shops recommended it. How times and knowledge have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.