PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Okay so I was walking along and I saw this branch that looked like a pipe, I thought that it might be fun to try and carve my own pipe and here are the results, tell me what you think!
The first stage, (after a few cuts and carving)

IMG_2462.jpg

After I drilled both the shank and bowl, and fitted the stem.

IMG_2468.jpg

Sanding and smoothing done (somewhat).

IMG_2472.jpg

As far as I can get with the tools I have!

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

So this was my first attempt to carve my own pipe! The only power tool I used was a Drill and some different bits. I used a ton of sand paper, I also used a finger nail buffer and shiner that I bought at Wal-Mart. I think I might try and carve some more of my own pipes now. ;D
P.S. - how do I might the pictures smaller?

smokingtoport

Lurker
Aug 8, 2010
Very nice shape for a first try!You might have found a new hobby.If you can't smoke it,because of the type of wood,it would look good mounted.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like it! I also like the idea that you're out in Nature with an eye toward seeing forms that you can put to good use.

Guys, I think we have a nascent freehand pipesmith here.
(Copy your pix over to PhotoBucket and re-size them there. You can then just paste their new URL(s) into your post here, and they'll be fine. Final size of around 500-600 pixels wide does well.)

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Thanks everyone! I have a buddy that does carpentry as a hobby and has a professional looking workshop in his garage, I think I might buy some Briar blocks or another type of wood and try my hand at pipe making! Anyone know of a good wood to start with?

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
very nice! i'm thinking about ordering a block of briar to try it out. i'll try to find the link and post it here

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
Thats pretty awesome pipe there! Being an amature artist myself, i think it's amazing that you're taking your hobby to heart!!! How does it smoke? Great job!!!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Bummer.
Have you determined what type of wood you made it from?

It still looks great.

I'd definitely keep it, if for nothing more than a conversation piece.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
No I never found out what kind of wood it is, the farmer that runs the cow farm next door (we have the same trees) has no idea either.
Yeah that is what it has been retired to, the first pipe I ever carved (well only pipe so far)...
I am going to get it mounted and incased in glass! not really.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have done several in cherry. Yours is a great first try. Keep at it. BTW cherry smokes very nicely and is a whole lot cheaper than briar for those first few attempts.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I get mine free it's a fencerow weed in this area. But Woodcraft usually stocks it in thicker chunks. Also small mills often have it at decent prices. once I get more slabbed out and dried I would gladly shoot out a hunk or two. If you are interested.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I actually smoked it today and I don't think that will ever happen again! My mouth went slightly numb after just a few puffs, so I put it out!

I think if my mouth went numb I might have smoked it a little longer to see what would keep happening lol.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I might have smoked it a little longer to see what would keep happening lol
Yeah but I like living haha. I think I might bring it to someone that will know what time of tree it is and see if it is safe. Hell it might have just been the sap burning out of the wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.