PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Nicotine content of tobacco can be measured, but there are very understandable reasons why a manufacturer wouldn't do this unless required by law.
There's plenty of good people with lots of smoking experience here on PM though to help you find low-nic blends.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Never felt effects while smoking cigars but yes sometime from a pipe,mostly it is caused by Kentucky dark fired, although not more so scary about it finally started to learn how to hand this, and do happen to like Burleys.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What am I missing? I would love to know where to find this information.
img_20171002_112342-337x600.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What sablebrush said. If you cannot tolerate any nicotine, probably pipe smoking isn't for you, because all tobacco has some nicotine. But many blends are extraordinarily low. Two that come to mind are the English blend Nat Sherman 536, and even milder Spilman Mixture from Iwan Ries. There are many (many) others low on the nicotine scale. So you're sure to find some you like if you can tolerate just a little.

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I can't add anything all that new to what's already been said, but pipe tobacco does have quite a bit more nicotine than cigars or cigarettes.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Your answers helped. Holy smoke! I got the Burley = high nicotine thing, all wrong.... Got schooled, today. That's a good thing.
@ cosmic....thanks for the tobacco tips. But I'll skip the bay leaves.
@ chasingembers....catalogs that I have just not blend descriptions and skipped that kind of legend, but I'll be mindful to look for this kind of notation in the future. Maybe I need to do more research when I consider trying different blends.....or, I'll ask the forum members about nic strength.
Frank

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Over time you'll build up a tolerance.
Very true. It takes time, but does happen. And as others have said, don't smoke on an empty stomach. Plus while smoking, sip on a sweet drink. The sugar helps raise blood sugar levels.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Hmmm, what about this?

Nicotine Raises Blood Sugar: Study Details

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20110328/nicotine-and-blood-sugar-bad-combination

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Tobacco is plant that has powerful effects on us. In addition to nicotine, there are other alkaloids such as nornicotine, anabasine, and anabaseine. The synergistic blending of all the chemically active parts of the plant contribute to the users experience. I have read that nicotine affects insulin, this can be good or bad like all things. For instance, tobacco users tend to have lower weight than nonsmokers, but it may not be a good choice for those with diabetes, or who are prediabetic. These influences on insulin may even be related to it's effects on dopamine, thereby contributing to it's more pleasurable effects. Like anything that has an ability to change the way we feel, we are responsible for using it wisely. If you are experiencing negative reactions you may be smoking more than is good for you. Smaller amounts, less inhaling, filters, building tolerance, and lower nicotine blends are all good ideas. I read something about folic acid and B12 supplementation being protective to the pancreas. Don't label nicotine as being something undesirable to you, it is more likely that the dose your are getting is too high for you. Try not to go past the point of feeling good. Some suggested non tobacco blends, but these usually contain many different plants all of which also have an unknown effect on you. I'd suggest trying to smoke tobacco the way Sablebrush52 does as he posted in this thread http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/how-long-do-you-draw-for

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I experimented with the vitamin B supplementation today. I took a B complex pill this morning and smoked a pipe multiple times throughout the day. I avoided eating as much food as well. I was much more comfortable smoking larger amounts on an empty stomach than usual. For me, the B complex seemed to help stabilize my fasting blood glucose.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Hmmm, what about this?

Nicotine Raises Blood Sugar: Study Details

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20110328/nicotine-and-blood-sugar-bad-combination
That's true, smoking makes your body more resistant to insulin and raises blood sugar levels. I will try to explain. After eating something, carbohydrates start breaking down to glucose (sugar) in your body. Your body can use the glucose as an energy source so your pancreas starts producing insulin - a hormone that opens up the cells allowing them to take in the sugar. Nicotine forces your pancreas to stop producing insulin, thus the sugar levels in your blood start rising. Now, you have lots of sugar in your blood however your cells cannot pick them up because they have no insulin. As soon as you take a spoon of honey or sugar, your body thinks like "oh, more sugar is coming, I better hurry to produce some insulin" and triggers pancreas to produce more insulin. Therefore a spoon of sugar or a coke some kind of normalizes your blood sugar levels. But let's not forget that, everyone is different.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Actually, this thread make me somewhat envious. If I did not love Nicotine so much, I'd be able to enjoy some of these wispy little blends, but I'd probably end up just smoking C&D's white Burley with a speckling of red Virginia and bright Virginia. Delicious stuff, all three, and together they make a honey-almond-wheat flavor that is delicious and not at all like the breakfast cereal you might think it resembles.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Javan, indeed you are correct. I narrowed my search to nicotine effects at the cellular level and found the information you described. Thank you!

Eric

I like the wispy blends during the day, while working at the bench and chain smoking my pipes. But, after dinner, I start breaking out the burleys and ropes. It's like the wispy blends affect me with a different level of energy. I can smoke a Virginia or VaPer and get all sorts of things done. But, after one bowl of a heavy hitter, and I can't even get out of my chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.