PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I can relate. I first tried pipes a few years ago and I didn't care much for it after I tried for a while. I went back to cigars and when I tried again I finally got it! Now I'm hooked. I still occasionally have a cigar but only when a friend offers one or if I go to a tasting at the local B&M.
I get so much more enjoyment out of a pipe. It mimics more of what I imagined tobacco would (should) taste like before I ever started smoking.

View attachment 45079
I just love this hobby. You can either grab a blend if you are looking to scratch a certain itch or you can grab something else and explore. I have so many blends open I had tried 1 week, 2 months, 6 months....1 year ago. Some I loved right off the bat, some of them I was absolutely and totally disappointed with. I love them all now in each of their own ways. Each have their own profiles and when you let them breathe a little bit and come back around to them, It's amazing how much things can change.

View attachment 45080
This Peterson Vampire I used to hate. I havent smoked it in a year. It used to gurgle EVERY time I smoked it. I am almost to the bottom of the bowl and not one gurgle.

This one likes to be sipped slowly. It was user error and inexperience on my part ;)

Nothing against cigars as I still love them but, this world is so much rewardingly skillful. So much more variety!

I kinda understand why us pipe smokers are such a dying breed in this immediate gratification society. It takes work but they are missing out and don't even know it.

I don't think we will change the worlds mind on the great benefits of pipe smoking with the anti tobacco people.

I will still hoard as much tobacco as I can afford and watch the world burn when the tobacco apocalypse comes whilst smoking my pipe quietly in my little corner of my world.
Count me as a former anti-tobacconist who is slowly coming round. Been fascinated with pipes for years for some reason and finally took the plunge earlier this year and bought one. While I don't partake every day I can see what the attraction is for sure. The pipes are beautiful and there's so much choice!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of these cellars, I couldn't get smoked if I lived and smoked to age 120. But they sure are inspiring. Way more blends than the average pipe shop.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Long story, I burned my tongue pretty bad early spring. It was in part due to a week of extended smoking sessions, not realising how bad it was getting. Aros were part of the culprit. So this summer I backed way off and just now feel I am starting to get back to where I was. While I have missed not smoking as much as I was, it was good to know I can pull back and it does not effect me at all. In the meantime my modest cellar aged and I added to it, so it’s all good. I expect to really enjoy my pipes over the holidays!

Reactions: Ebarber and aquadoc

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I like the Color Stickies, I need to do this, so colors have meaning to the Tobacco, like light colors, light flavors or light happy days, dark colors, dark/heavier flavors, dark days... LOL

Yep, pipe smoking is a Labor of Love, an Art, that requires patience and rewards those patient enough to hang in there...

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I like the Color Stickies, I need to do this, so colors have meaning to the Tobacco, like light colors, light flavors or light happy days, dark colors, dark/heavier flavors, dark days... LOL

Yep, pipe smoking is a Labor of Love, an Art, that requires patience and rewards those patient enough to hang in there...

Good Idea! I never really thought of doing that. Now you've got my ocd working on that thought :ROFLMAO:

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
I love this hobby as Well! It took some time for me to get interested in pipe smoking. Had bought a cheap pipe from smoke shop and 1oz or so of a bulk Aro, but it didn't stick and had a terrible time keeping it lit. Put in down for a few years then bought a pouch of Middletons Cherry and knew that with enough effort I could figure this out. Fast forward to now where I have collected a decent sized cellar to last for years to come and have a reasonable collection of about 15-20 pipes to keep the baccy lit for years to come. It takes a special kind of person to smoke a pipe, not like cigs or cigars where just anyone can smoke them, a pipe smoker usually shows certain traits and are usually layed back thinking types.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
t takes a special kind of person to smoke a pipe, not like cigs or cigars where just anyone can smoke them, a pipe smoker usually shows certain traits and are usually layed back thinking types.
Care to elucidate as to these "certain traits"? I find pipe smokers to cover the entire spectrum of humanity myself. Some are fastidious in their adherence to ritual. Some are amazingly casual in their approach to pipes and blends. Others are collectors. Some consider themselves "hobbyists." I just am having a bit of trouble with your generality above. But, I only embraced the pipe back in the 60s so I maybe be a bit shy of experience which would certainly color my position.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It takes a special kind of person to smoke a pipe, not like cigs or cigars where just anyone can smoke them, a pipe smoker usually shows certain traits and are usually layed back thinking types.
I too would like to hear the explanation for those traits. I'm hyperthyrodic and anything but a layed back type. I'm constantly on the go, work a 7/12 shift and often only have time to think about what I'm having for dinner. A pipe is a hands free way for me to enjoy nicotine, but when not busy, I smoke cigars, cigarettes, and chew quite often at my desk.

• Wow
Reactions: warren

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
anything but a layed back type
Laid back includes a penchant for solitude. ? ?

I agree with you, Cap'n, though. Pipes don't befit nor define a particular personality. Anyone can smoke them and many years ago anyone did, regardless of whether they were sanguine, choleric, melancholic, &c.

Now, HOW someone smokes a pipe is more telling in terms of 'types'.

Reactions: Chasing Embers