PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
20201002_234558.jpg
I just love this hobby. You can either grab a blend if you are looking to scratch a certain itch or you can grab something else and explore. I have so many blends open I had tried 1 week, 2 months, 6 months....1 year ago. Some I loved right off the bat, some of them I was absolutely and totally disappointed with. I love them all now in each of their own ways. Each have their own profiles and when you let them breathe a little bit and come back around to them, It's amazing how much things can change.

20201002_234545.jpg
This Peterson Vampire I used to hate. I havent smoked it in a year. It used to gurgle EVERY time I smoked it. I am almost to the bottom of the bowl and not one gurgle.

This one likes to be sipped slowly. It was user error and inexperience on my part ;)

Nothing against cigars as I still love them but, this world is so much rewardingly skillful. So much more variety!

I kinda understand why us pipe smokers are such a dying breed in this immediate gratification society. It takes work but they are missing out and don't even know it.

I don't think we will change the worlds mind on the great benefits of pipe smoking with the anti tobacco people.

I will still hoard as much tobacco as I can afford and watch the world burn when the tobacco apocalypse comes whilst smoking my pipe quietly in my little corner of my world.

Last edited:

tomatamot

Part of the Furniture Now
May 26, 2020
EU
View attachment 45079
I just love this hobby. You can either grab a blend if you are looking to scratch a certain itch or you can grab something else and explore. I have so many blends open I had tried 1 week, 2 months, 6 months....1 year ago. Some I loved right off the bat, some of them I was absolutely and totally disappointed with. I love them all now in each of their own ways. Each have their own profiles and when you let them breathe a little bit and come back around to them, It's amazing how much things can change.

View attachment 45080
This Peterson Vampire I used to hate. I havent smoked it in a year. It used to gurgle EVERY time I smoked it. I am almost to the bottom of the bowl and not one gurgle.

This one likes to be sipped slowly. It was user error and inexperience on my part ;)

Nothing against cigars as I still love them but, this world is so much rewardingly skillful. So much more variety!

I kinda understand why us pipe smokers are such a dying breed in this immediate gratification society. It takes work but they are missing out and don't even know it.

I don't think we will change the worlds mind on the great benefits of pipe smoking with the anti tobacco people.

I will still hoard as much tobacco as I can afford and watch the world burn when the tobacco apocalypse comes whilst smoking my pipe quietly in my little corner of my world.
?

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
I must admit that when I have drifted away from the pipe several times over the last thirty years it's been because I've got fed up with having to carry all the paraphernalia — cigars just seemed a lot less like hard work.

Reactions: Ebarber

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Comparing this hobby to my watch collection or saxophone collection or any of my other pricy collections, I can't help but think that one of the great things about pipe smoking is that you don't have to be wealthy to enjoy the hobby. Inexpensive pipes that smoke well and a $10 tin of great tobacco once in a while keeps you in the game without losing out on the pleasure of the hobby.

Prunetucky84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2020
Clovis, CA
You said it well with this post. It’s such a fun, relaxing, and satisfying hobby that At times, can be overwhelming for me, as I have about the same amount of jars I smoke from regularly. Sometimes I find myself staring at them for 10,15,20 minutes trying to decide what I feel like smoking! Lol

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I was sitting on the porch with the wife and having a cigar. From out of nowhere, I had a flashback to when I was a kid and how both of my grandfathers smoked a pipe. I remembered how good it smelled and how I looked up to them. Right then and there, got online and ordered my first briar and a few tins. Before the order arrived, went to the local B&M grabbed some cobs and a couple of pouches with that Prince Albert fella on the front to practice. That was eight years ago! Now my tobacco stash takes up 2 cabinets full of jars/tins much to my wife’s dismay. I do also truly love it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hurray for pipes. I take your point that sometimes you can try a blend and find little enjoyment, only to put it aside and come back months or years later to discover pure wonderment. I like to think the subconscious has been calculating away at the same time the tobaccos are aging and improving, and when the two meet again, the clouds open.

Dottleganger

Lurker
Dec 22, 2019
Monroe, VA
Comparing this hobby to my watch collection or saxophone collection or any of my other pricy collections, I can't help but think that one of the great things about pipe smoking is that you don't have to be wealthy to enjoy the hobby. Inexpensive pipes that smoke well and a $10 tin of great tobacco once in a while keeps you in the game without losing out on the pleasure of the hobby.
I would enjoy pix of you sax collection, I have Keilwerth soprano and straight alto but played Selmer Mark VI alto in college.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
View attachment 45079

View attachment 45080

Hear hear! Pipe smoking is one of the greatest pleasures on earth. I always try to spread the word but all in all, I’ve created very few pipe smokers with my gospel. Usually I spark interest in someone, they buy a decent pipe or a cob, try it out for awhile, get tongue bite and give up. I always try to stress that this is not something that is going to rock your world right away but if you are persistent, put forth the effort, you will eventually be greatly rewarded!

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Pipe smoking is like a form of Zen meditation for me (actually studied Zen meditation with a Zen priest years ago). I honestly can get to a state where I am not thinking about anything except the enjoyment of my pipe and the tobacco I'm smoking. I sit and watch the clouds go by in my backyard and next thing I know it's an hour later. It's such a pleasant experience.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I got into pipe smoking, after having never smoked anything but 3 cigars, when I was in Lexington KY for a seminar. I was attempting to purchase some cigars for my dad and the guy behind the counter was smoking a pipe and it, the visual and smell, took me back to hanging out with my grandpa.

That was the beginning of my journey. I’ve been able to narrow my pipe and tobacco preferences after much trial and error. But that’s the fun!!

It’s a journey. Not a destination.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pipe smoking is like a form of Zen meditation for me (actually studied Zen meditation with a Zen priest years ago). I honestly can get to a state where I am not thinking about anything except the enjoyment of my pipe and the tobacco I'm smoking. I sit and watch the clouds go by in my backyard and next thing I know it's an hour later. It's such a pleasant experience.
it doesn't get enough credit for that fact. It reminds me of a tea ceremony to be honest. It's helped along by the drug but it's not just about the drug. Caffeine or Nicotine. But a total thing that is all parts coming together to create an intense but low stakes focus. First you pack the pipe and that takes care but isn't difficult, then you sip which is easy but requires patients and attention. It really does create a state of flow as science calls it. Flow is the state when you need attention for what you are doing it's too complicated to not be engrossed but simple enough it's not a real challenge.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
View attachment 45079

View attachment 45080

Very well put and I wholeheartedly agree. When I walk into a place like Corona Cigar Company, I inevitably get a comment or two about how some well intentioned cigar smoker had tried a pipe once and invariably scorched his mouth. I offer to coach them but the answer is always the same, “Nah, bro, I’m good.” Oh well, more for me then. ?

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
Very well put and I wholeheartedly agree. When I walk into a place like Corona Cigar Company, I inevitably get a comment or two about how some well intentioned cigar smoker had tried a pipe once and invariably scorched his mouth. I offer to coach them but the answer is always the same, “Nah, bro, I’m good.” Oh well, more for me then. ?

I can relate. I first tried pipes a few years ago and I didn't care much for it after I tried for a while. I went back to cigars and when I tried again I finally got it! Now I'm hooked. I still occasionally have a cigar but only when a friend offers one or if I go to a tasting at the local B&M.