PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
While the flavor of flakes seems more intense and have smoked my share of them over the years, must say I prefer the ease of ribbon cut.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I am still committed to cube cutting flakes, although I do rub out coins. Regardless of prep method, I do lay my tobacco out in a wood plate for a bit before loading the bowl to help dry it out.

— pruss

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I love the idea of fold and stuff. I've tried a number of times with poor results. I end up packing too tight. My current method is to fold them and pull them apart until the pieces are small enough. This seems to work well for me. I want to try cube cutting at some point.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'll echo what others write as far as some flakes being more challenging than others with FVF being particularly difficult. On the easy side of the spectrum is Mac Baren Navy Flake. That one is pretty easy to fold and stuff and keep going when lit.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I dry flakes completely, using a heat gun. Air drying doesn't do the job in my humid environment. Once bone dry I force them in the chamber, they of course break several times and crack loudly all the way down. But they burn fine.

I've smoked some fairly crispy flakes that still had more than enough moisture to expand and almost plug the chamber. This expansion is, to me, what makes flakes difficult. Always packing looser than I think necessary helps tremendously.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
As I've gotten more experience with flakes, I don't worry as much about drying them out completely. I find I can fold and stuff most flakes fresh out of the tin (not SG) and still make it work. What I generally do is pop a tin and let it sit for awhile before starting on it. That seems to dry it out sufficiently for it to work well. Without question, loose is best. It may not be a big deal, or it could be, but the bowl ID of my flake pipes are all less than .80. I think packing flake correctly in larger bowl ID's would be a bit more challenging.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
FWIW i get the best results when folding and stuffing when the plug fits in the chamber snugly, but without the need for shoving it in.

And I’ll give the obligatory response: “that’s what she said”

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I know what you're saying with FVF. I did the exact same thing, cube cut it and let it dry for 36 hours and it was still a pain in the ass to smoke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For a long time FVF was my most finicky flake(I smoke flakes 99% of the time). My first success came when I cube cut it into very small cubes and then let it dry for a couple of hours. Fast forward a bunch of years and I now just fold and stuff it as I found the right system of drying and stuffing..

Reactions: luigi

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If you can't keep it lit more than a minute I'm guessing you never really got it lit well to begin with. This is a common problem because folks fear overheating the bowl. Get that thing cherry red, then let it calm for a bit, now you're on easy street.
precisely what I was going to say. Really get the flake going big and red. It will calm down quickly and then stay lit easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.