New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

R

RemoteOutpost

... where flavored tobacco is banned. I am a totally new pipe smoker and I can't get to any of the aromatics I want to try. Would some of you fine folk be so kind as to recommend to me an unflavored tobacco or two that nevertheless has notes of fruit, sweetness, etc? My research so far has led me to Escudo Navy Deluxe and Solani Virginia Flake. I would be very grateful for your recommendations. Thank you!

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
So it depends on the site. Some things that are clearly flavored in the name are flagged while others that might be lightly topped are not. A lot of this depends on the vendor. That said, TobaccoPipes seems to have many that are not restricted to MA.

Some ones that may get by include: Erinmore Flake, Peterson University Flake, Samuel Gawith Firedance Flake, St Bruno Flake or Ready Rubbed (RR has more topping)

Also, there may be people willing to forward stuff to you if you can’t get it. And, depending on where in MA you live you might be able to meet up or road trip to a B&M. Or if you live on one of the borders maybe a P.O. Box in VT, RI or CT. Just some thoughts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When things get back more towards normal, you might figure a three-day weekend trip to a state friendlier to aromatic pipe tobacco, planned around some other recreational activity depending on your budget. Or if you have out-of-state visitors, you could ask them to go with you to Peretti's or a closer B&M. Stock up for the year.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
After Frog Morton's Cellar's demise, I wanted to try spraying Bourbon on an English blend. I imagine a flavored liquor/liqueur might be interesting...I was thinking of trying Drambuie.

I haven't tried the Bourbon spritz. I recently tried SPC Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel and it was not only a perfect replacement, but an upgrade IMHO.