PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I get Iwan Ries and Pipes and Cigars paper catalogs from time to time, and I really enjoy them for undemanding ( I didn't say mindless) reading at bedtime or beside the john. I like reminding myself of the various brands, shapes, and prices of pipes, and the constituent tobaccos in various blends, the different kinds of tampers, and so on. It's like a guilty pleasure with no guilt. And I sometimes learn something too. Anyone else revert to print media to console themselves?

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I quite enjoy receiving the catalogs from P&C, Cigars, Cigars Int’l, and others that I can’t recall. They usually contain very little in the way of new items but I will flip through them without fail. MSO489, you hit the nail on the head. They are the best literature for reading in the John.

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
I'm a fan of paper catalogs of all kinds, and frequently pore through them and jot down little "stuff I want" lists, even if most of those things I'll never have. Have been doing it since I was a kid, when I'd hover over the Sears "Wish Book" for hours. I even have a reprint of a Sears Roebuck catalog from 1897. It's fascinating.

Reactions: MattRVA and Bengel

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have a Sear's catalogue somewhere from the 1920s and contrary to popular urban legend it did not advertise Thompson Sub Machine guns. I love getting the P&C catalogues and Thompson Cigars although I thought they are both owned by the same company, they do make fabulous toilet reading.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I have a Sear's catalogue somewhere from the 1920s and contrary to popular urban legend it did not advertise Thompson Sub Machine guns. I love getting the P&C catalogues and Thompson Cigars although I thought they are both owned by the same company, they do make fabulous toilet reading.

Thompson: submachine guns and cigars. Now that’s a match made in heaven! ?

Reactions: lightmybriar

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I get Iwan Ries and Pipes and Cigars paper catalogs from time to time, and I really enjoy them for undemanding ( I didn't say mindless) reading at bedtime or beside the john. I like reminding myself of the various brands, shapes, and prices of pipes, and the constituent tobaccos in various blends, the different kinds of tampers, and so on. It's like a guilty pleasure with no guilt. And I sometimes learn something too. Anyone else revert to print media to console themselves?
The best catalog was from JR Cigars (70's-80's)..Lew Rothman wrote the stories about the deals he made on the products he sold..and most were blunt..How the deal was purchased or not and if a product sucked he was say so.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It may just be habit, and a generational thing, but I often prefer the older "technology" of print or in-person. I've used ATMs, but if I'm near a branch bank, I often use the teller. I've read on Kindle, but I prefer books and magazines. The paper seems like a luxury by comparison. Paperbacks are so easy in hand, don't need recharging, and don't introduce their own agenda or sales pitch. Devices have become so intrusive and manipulative, paranoia producing.

Reactions: anotherbob

hymnchimney

Might Stick Around
Feb 18, 2020
Morganton, NC
I agree with this sentiment entirely. I've gotten a P&C catalog before, but would love to find some more places that offer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.