PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Remember I said that Trever Talbert could take the Calabash shape, turn it upside down and inside out and still come up with a classic?
Well you have really understand what else Trever Talbert is capable of as well and this Calabash is not your grandfathers Calabash, your fathers Calabash or nothing you have come to associate as being a Calabash in any shape or form but it is.
The bowl is briar and the bottom is Boxwood but sandwiched in between is a cup or Meerschaum and a Calabash of fantasy was born. If I remember right this is the only one he made and it smokes great and as you can see I'm keeping it smokey with some Capstan Blue.

banjo
33942058184_61e7f0ea56_z_d.jpg

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
That looks like a pipe that would come from the mind of Theodor Seuss Geisel ... a Dr. Seuss book... And that is meant as a compliment. A unique and fantastical pipe.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
That is a fantastic pipe there!! Trevor Talbert makes fantastic pipes. The fit and finish on his low end "Ligne Bretagne" line is excellent, I can only imagine how nicely a high end work like your calabash would be finished. Glad to see you keeping it smoky!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have every model Trever makes and the fit and finish on all of them is beyond reproach.

banjo

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Good heavens, thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to see that pipe in use. That was one of several I've done with that meerschaum chamber idea. It's always bugged me when expansion chambers are cut in not-very-absorbent materials, and I wanted to do some pipes with a chamber lined with African meerschaum. The stuff is granular in texture, like a hard sponge, and it soaks up moisture like crazy. I've got a big (end table-sized) chunk of it in the shop that I periodically cut sections from, for chambers or whole pipes. It's not pretty stuff to look at, but it's durable as hell - I made one of my own all-time favorite "beater" smokers from it:
iX28H4j.jpg

^ That's one of my "kicking around the workshop" pipes. Not pretty, but rugged as heck with all the focus on function. Had it since France.

Status
Not open for further replies.