PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I went to the B&M this afternoon looking for a change of pace blend. After hummin and hawing for a bit, and some BSing with the shop keeper, he suggests I take a look at 'Mr.B's 110 Anniversary Blend.' (Mr.B's is a sub-brand of Brigham, and the stuff was blended by C&D)
The description reads 'Red and bright virginia blended with perique, white burley, dark fired kentucky and a touch of deer tongue. Okay, what the hell. Change of pace. I loaded a cob as soon as I got in the car.
The results were good.
The deer tongue smells like sweetgrass and some other plant I recognize but can't name. It's conservativly applied here, and I admit I liked the taste. It got along nicely with the other components.
I'm recovering from day surgery, getting better every day, but still feeling those post-op doldrums from being cooped up, etc. This blend helped to cure all that. I give equal credit to the deer tongue and excellent blending by C&D. There's enough nicotine to lift one's spirits if needed, and a fullness and mildly herbal taste that might even cure joint pain, glaucoma and sinus infections. I craved a 2nd bowl immediately after the 1st.
Anyone else tried deer tongue? I am very intrigued by this discovery. This blend would be fine without the deer tongue, but it adds another interesting dimension to it.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Nice first impression. Ive been a bit curious about Deer Tongue. While im not big on tobacco flavourings, I will admit that the sweetgrass smell has me sold.

Hope you recover swiftly from your surgery.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I like DT! 4noggins' Imagine & C&Ds Gentleman Caller are the best I've had. My one problem is I only like it during the hot summer months.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I did some quick readin' on tobaccoreviews.com and this stuff sounds a lot like Gentleman Caller (Virginias, Burleys and Perique)
Edit: also sounds similar to Imagine.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Gentleman caller made me sad.
The one you mentioned, looks interesting.

Kentucky is something I'd like to try with deer tongue.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
@stickframer: I have some Gentleman caller that's been sitting in a jar since October '14 that I'm more than happy to mail out to you. I didn't care for it much at all. I get more of an "apple pie" aroma from it than I do vanilla. I've come back to it a couple of times and it's just not for me. Beware: it will really ghost a pipe badly.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I recall reading somewhere that deer tongue had a vanilla like aroma and flavor. Did you detect anything like that?
I looked hard for a vanilla flavor or aroma, and had no luck. No apple pie either. Now I'm thinking something's wrong with me! :lol: I do get a taste and aroma of smouldering sweetgrass and maybe sage.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm liking C&D's Crooner. I get a slight taste & aroma of vanilla at first light, but then it switches to all burley. I liked the cube cut burley so much that I bought a pound of C&D's Cube Cut Burley. I thought Crooner was a nicotine monster, but Cube Cut Burley is the winner in the nicotine department. Either blend is great if your trying to kick the cigarette habit.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Sounds very nice, thanks for the write-up. Is deer tongue still readily available? The folks at Watch City Cigar no longer use deer tongue. According to the site "Due to the difficulty in obtaining Deer Tongue, we have opted to use a Coumarin Type top note instead."

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
"Due to the difficulty in obtaining Deer Tongue, we have opted to use a Coumarin Type top note instead."
As I recall, this matter is largely over-exaggerated in most circles as in its natural state, the stuff is very safe. You can get a very similar flavoring and aroma from tonka beans (tonquin) as well as sweet woodruff, a common ground cover and herb.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Anyone know where to procure some online?
I think you can still buy it from Penn Herb. At least I was able to a few years ago. A little goes a long way. Also, if comes very dry so if you are going to use it in a blend I'd suggest adding some water to the Deer's Tongue and let it hydrate a bit.
Edit: Yes you can.. make sure to get the cut version, not the powdered.

http://www.pennherb.com/deers-tongue-cut-1-139c1

Status
Not open for further replies.