PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I saw this on the @pipestud webpage and it's a hysterical read with some great responses! Delete if not ok.

A Recap of Favorite Email Questions From 2019

Another statistic that really stood out to me was the fact that of all the blog posts I made on this site in 2019, the most “hits” occurred when I wrote about my Top-10 All Time Favorite pipe and tobacco questions that were sent to me. So, I thought that perhaps it might be fun to revisit my top-10 emails received this year. I’ve posted them below and if you are on the list, congratulations!

Question– I just received the Peterson’s pipe that I won on your eBay site and you sold me a pipe that has obviously already been smoked! It has cake in the bowl and tooth scratching on the stem. Nobody wants to buy an already smoked pipe and I demand an immediate refund!
Pipestud – What part of the item description did you not understand? Was it the part where I listed the pipe as used? Or, maybe it was the part where I said the pipe has been well smoked and retains light tooth marks on the stem? I note that you just joined eBay a month ago and have a feedback rating of (2). Here’s a tip. In the future, reading the seller’s item descriptions should be helpful to you. And for the record, more used pipes are sold on eBay every day than new ones.

Question– Dear Seller, I bought this pipe a month or so ago but want to return it for a full refund and I am warning you that you will receive NEGATIVE FEEDBACK if you do not agree to do so. I bought this pipe for a friend in Russia and sent the pipe to him at his address in Kazan, but he never received it. Apparently, it was lost in the mail, which is certainly not my fault and you need to make good on the loss.
Pipestud – You must be writing to me from an asylum for the insane. But thanks for the heads up. I forwarded your email to eBay and fortunately, they assure me that any negative feedback you leave will be removed as I am not responsible for your shipping issues. And just a quick question; How’d you manage to get out of your straight jacket to bid on my auction?

Question– I am going to return this Aldo Velani pipe. I am an expert on this brand and have over 60 of them in my collection. This pipe is an obvious forgery. The writing on the wood, which we in the pipe collecting business call “nomenclature,” has a totally different font style than any of the others. This is just another sad indication of eBay allowing people who have no expertise in what they sell to sell anyway with reckless abandon.
Pipestud – Forgive my ignorance and please return the pipe for your $27.50 refund. I should have known that a pipe that expensive would be a prime target for potential forgeries.

Question– Pipestud, I am sorry but am going to have to return this Stanwell pipe. I know that you listed the size and weight but you need to be more careful when taking photos. Your pictures made this pipe look a lot bigger than it really is.
Pipestud – Oh sure, just send that pipe back for a full refund. And thanks for the heads up on the photos. It sounds to me like I need to buy a smaller camera. Do you think that will fix my issues with the pictures coming out so big?

Question– I read in your eBay terms/conditions that people with (0) feedback must email you first before bidding. I was going to email you anyway because I like that Cavicchi Canadian. Rather than payment through PayPal, would you accept a pipe of equal or greater value in trade? I have a rare, unsmoked pipe that my late father owned. I believe it was made by a famous doctor and even has his name stamped on the pipe, Dr. Grabow. I can send you pictures if you want to do the trade.
Pipestud – Sorry for my delayed reply to your email. I had to think long and hard about your trade offer but in the end, have decided to take a pass.

The following is not really a question but rather an occurrence – A few years ago a consignor sent me a very nice Pre-Trans Barlings EXEXEL Billiard pipe to sell. It arrived in a plain brown box and when I opened the box, the pipe was carefully wrapped up in a male Depends diaper! I carefully pulled out the diaper wrapped pipe (I say carefully because I wasn’t sure whether it was a new or “estate” diaper – thank goodness it was new), and found a note. It said the following – “Steve, here is the pipe that I want you to sell for me. I would like for you to return the diaper in this same box and please don’t ask any questions.”

Pipestud – I did as I was asked and sent the diaper back in the same box it came in and sure as heck didn’t ask any questions, mainly because I didn’t want to know the answer!

Question– I am 22-years old and just starting to smoke a pipe. I saw where you have reviewed thousands of tobaccos on the website tobaccoreviews.com, so, I figured you would be a good person to ask this question. My mom was not very happy when she found out that I was smoking a pipe and told me that doing so could actually cause Herpes. Have you ever heard that?
Pipestud – No. But it can give you tongue bite if you don’t practice safe puffing.

Question– My girlfriend hates my pipe smoking because she says it gives me bad breath. Is this a problem for other pipe smokers? And if so, is there a solution to this problem?
Pipestud – Yes, it has been a problem for some pipe smokers and my advice has always been for them to dump their girlfriend and find another one who has Anosmia. Or, brush your teeth prior to kissing, whichever is easiest for you.

Question– This might be a dumb question, but are there any tobacco blends that have beef or chicken in it?
Pipestud – You are right, that is a dumb question. In fact, one of the dumbest questions that I’ve ever heard.

Question– Just curious; if you couldn’t smoke pipe tobacco what would you smoke?
Pipestud – If you don’t mind, I don’t think I will answer your question because in some states my answer could get me arrested.

Question – A few days ago I purchased one of those limited edition Lord of the Rings tobaccos made by Greg Pease from your website. I got it today and thanks for the fast shipping but I have a question. In the tobacco description on the back of the tin it says that this tobacco was found in an oak barrel that had washed ashore from the sea. I was wondering if you think that maybe sea salt seeped into the barrel and if so, would that maybe make the tobacco not good for consumption?
Pipestud – Yes, sea salt did infiltrate the tobacco, and on the contrary, it made it better and that’s why those tins are so collectible. Whenever I purchase one, after opening the tin I also add a little Tabasco Sauce to spice up the contents a little. Please try that with your next bowlful and let me know how that worked out for you.

If 2019 is any indication of what kinds of email questions I might receive in 2020, then I will have another great year!

Happy puffing,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilarious!! I don't doubt any of this. I have heard so many stupid questions about my business over the years that I am sort of immune to things people will ask.

My absolute favorite that keeps coming up, is someone handing me a picture of a piece of jewelry in silver by a famous designer, and ask me if I can copy this for less money... and could I do it in gold?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From long experience I know dealing with the public is like this. Steve's responses are to the point and funny. I have some humorous tales to tell, but I think Steve has the floor. These are like puzzles to conjure, "What was he thinking?" Maybe ask your smart speaker to play John Prine's "Dear Abby."

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hilarious stuff. When I was going to school at Washington State University I attended a football game once with a girl. After the first few plays, she asked me why our school's football field didn't have the yellow lines that mark where a first down is. It was bittersweet. On the one hand, I knew I would be getting laid that night. On the other hand, the prospect for a long term relationship was quite slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.