PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Like many I have tried my hand at blending and layering different blends. Some of these experiments have taken blends I enjoyed separate and created something together that is less to something that was horrible. Have any of you, in efforts to avoid wasting small amounts of good blends, accidentally created something pleasant and much unexpected?
This morning I loaded up two pipes for the day. Last night I had transferred my new bag of Sterling 1776 Tavern that I had received to a mason jar. If you like bold English blends, 1776 Tavern is an excellent blend you need to try. During the transfer I spilled a small amount of the Tavern onto the table. After the transfer and sealing the jar I gathered up the spill which amounted to less than a bowl. I set it aside rather than put it into the scraps jar, planning on smoking it later that evening.
I never did get back to it last night, and this morning I loaded up two pipes for the day. As I guessed, there was only enough 1776 Tavern to fill half the bowl of one of the pipes. I had a partial jar of DH 965 I was trying to use up, which had been cellared for about a year. So I filled the top half of the bowl with 965. I didn’t expect it would be notably good, but figured since I like both, the results couldn’t be that bad.

As I left for work I lit the mixed bowl first. What happened was not even close to what I had expected. I have mixed and layered blends I like before, with various results. The first quarter of the bowl was very good tasting as the 965 picked up some of the bold Tavern blend taste. From there it only got better. Unbelievably and by accident this was the best bowl I have enjoyed in a very long time. I had expected a so so bowl at best to avoid waste, and was rewarded with an unexpected treat. My drive to work was quicker than usual, but I sat in my truck and continued to enjoy this wonderful “accident” for another 20 minutes.
I can’t wait to get home tonight and see if I can re-create this tasty bowl.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
The story would have been better if it was like the old Reeses peanut butter cup commercial.

Like, you had a head on collision with another pipe smoker and half of your 1776 flew into his bowl, while half of his 965 flew into yours....

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
But then he would have to kill the other guy so he can take credit for the discovery. Loose lips sink ships and all that hubub.
I haven't mixed any blends yet. I'm a chicken sh*t. :puffy:

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
I have done the same but on purpose. Lanes1Q, Tudor Castle-st. James woods & P.A.

That's the best that i have smoked. Ordering 1Q and St. James

Going to mix those bad boys-a little at a time. 1-1/2 #'s saved some for later

never have that smoke again.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.