PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
...because I just tried my first Lakeland and loved it. Specifically I tried Ennerdale Flake. I can definitely see why people make the perfume, old lady, and soap accusations. For me it reminds me of incense, or of my Assyrian grandmother and her sisters who used to smoke up a storm while gambling over Scrabble. I think I was predisposed to liking Lakelands because I already really enjoy highly fragrant candles, soaps, incenses, etc. (I even used to make my own candles). Ennerdale certainly won't be an everyday pipe, but it's a blend I'll enjoy as a treat when spring comes in a few months. Until then I'll age the rest of the tin in a mason jar. Partook with an MM Shire Cobbit:

What other Lakelands do you fellow weirdos enjoy? Grousemoor is next on my list.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Greetings Fellow Weirdo! I have maximally enjoyed several Lakelands "essence"/tonquinny blends as well over recent years. Ennerdale was also my entré, which I seriously enjoyed. That led me to try 1792 Flake and Bracken Flake, BOTH of which were HUGE HEAVY HITTERs of the genre, IMHO, which I also enjoyed to the max. They don't make Bracken anymore, or at least it's disappeared from US catalogs. 1792 would be a very logical next step. Grousemoor is something I find entirely different than the tonquin thing. I've read "lemon grass"/herbal to describe. I'm right in the middle of a tin(my first) of Grousemoor as we speak, having spent a couple lovely hours last evening smoking it away in pure pleasure. I honestly don't know how to describe the whole thing... the tobacco is the brightest, lightest yellow I've ever seen in a pipe tobacco. The tin note, also bizarre... like lemon furniture polish, or better yet 200pf limoncello with a touch of acetone, super-sweet/sour penny-candy, and the favorite caustic beverage of the OITMON Nebula pod people. I find the taste/smoking aroma of the tobacco to be almost dissociated from the tin-note. It starts as burning cotton candy, morphs to very pleasantly toasting marshmallows over a camp fire, to baking shoo-fly pie and molasses, to a very calm, very pure fine tobacco taste, like some rich, aged Virginias on xanax. I do plan on always having some Grousemoor on hand.
The only buggabooulous fly in the ointment from my perspective has been that Ennerdale, 1792, and Bracken all totally, utterly, and imperiously not just ghosted, but poltergiested any pipe I smoked them in... almost beyond help. I didn't know this going into the fray, and would have seriously designated A Singular Pipe, just for those blends. At the time, I was not awash in pipes (making progress) so other favorite English/Balkans, VaPers, and others that I did NOT want tainted with The Essence, were seriously impaired. (Of course, one just needs to then buy more pipes... the argument didn't wash with Her Majesty though.)
Also one last quick thought, Hearth & Home used to have a "Lakeland Brickle" that I did not much care for at all... I found it to be so far from the SG and G&H galaxies as to be wholly different and not therefore, scratching the itch, as it were. But always happy different strokes for different folks!
I wish you well with a toast to the tonquin and also congrats for being brave and owning the wierdness! Peace!

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Welcome home! Peterson Hyde Park is a nice light Lakeland, Condor ready rub is also very good, Condor Plug should be very good I have some coming to try.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I usually have a lakeland as an after dinner treat. However, I have only just recently discovered Bothy Flake and Coniston Plug. Bothy flake smells and tastes like and Islay malt and Coniston plug doesn't have the heavy floral aroma but is sweet and spicy at the same time. Both of these tobaccos I could smoke all day.
I do think that Lakelands taste must better as a plug especially when cellared for a few months as this matures and intensifies the flavour and it seems to hold it for a greater portion of the bowl.
As for ghosting, if you haven't got any meers or cobs (a strong lakeland can still ghost these but nothing like what it will do to briar), then pick a pipe, not just for lakelands but for specific lakelands. For example, I only smoke Ennerdale in one pipe and Coniston in another and 1792 in a different pipe again. I found that smoking all lakelands in one pipe just ended up with everything tasting like a toned down Ennerdale which ruins Condor and St Bruno.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I'm trying to stick to a set of five blends and stop expirimenting. I don't need people telling me that a blend I haven't tried tastes like an Islay malt. You aren't helping.

Anyway, I just looked into the Bothy and found it's treated with peated Scotch. It'll be in my next order.

I knew picking this forum up again was a bad idea.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
"Lakeland Brickle"
I still have 8oz. of that around here somewhere I have yet to open. I personally like the Lakeland essence myself, 1792 Flake being a favorite...

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I am 14 bowls into my first tin of Ennerdale. Yep, I love it. Great stuff.
I am getting ready to order more and to order some Kendall flake.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
When I saw the title my first thought was Lakeland. I love g and h stuff. Especially Conniston cut plug. I think it helps being a Brit as when I smell Ennerdale I think Indian rice pudding or sweets rather than old lady.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Jerwynn, your post made me smile. Thanks for your wit and insight!
Bigpond, thank you! Does that mean you're Assyrian too, or just think we're awesome?
Thanks for the insights, all. After further research the next Lakelands on the dock for me are Grousemoor, Bothy Flake, 1792, Rum Flake, and Hyde Park. I'm excited!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Greetings M&M and all! I'm not sure Pete's Hyde Park exactly qualifies for a "lakeland essence" blend... they themselves hint more to maple and I believe rum than tonquinesque applications. Here's what I wrote in an spc product response about Hyde Park in 2013:
Nectar & Abrosia January 08, 2013

By: Jerwynn

I am struggling to find the best words for how I experience Hyde Park. I have found it extraordinary and totally unique in my experience. I maximally enjoy and appreciate complex full-bodied latakia blends... present favorites are GLPs Sextant and La... gonda, and Ouellette's Black HOUSE. I equally exalt in rich, sweet, luscious, dessert-y aromatics, presently Boswell's Pom Holiday, Christmas Cookie, and HPSC Trout Stream. All that being said, Peterson's Hyde Park is absolutely UNLIKE any blend thus far in my experience AND I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT. I opened the tin and was at once in a spring meadow with myriad grasses and wildflowers ever so angelically blessing the elysian breeze. In the next field over, someone was making a first mow of hay. I spent a small pleasant eternity just enjoying the tin aroma. Upon ignition, I was presented with a huge orb of magic and mystery... something herbal, something lightly sweet, something faintly floral, a sense of a medium bodied but very fine cigar... with a touch of leather and alfalfa. But then there was this... once long ago I smelled church incense from the Greek "holy mountain" of Mount Athos... the predominant base was a combination of true frankincense in concert with a delicate pine-y resinous scent which was then dusted ever so lightly with the essence of either Russian gardenia or Syrian rose. Do not infer "floral" in any ghastly way upon Hyde Park... just passing pastel shades, sprites, tobacco nymphs. Rich tobaccos, delicate sweetness, the comfort of a slow hot bath after splitting wood all day... that was my stroll through Hyde Park. One final observation, nicotine doesn't usually figure in either my requirements, enjoyment, observations, or evaluation of a pipe-tobacco blend and has never mattered much to me. Hyde Park hit me with all the subtlety of a fire-engine-red double-decker London bus at about Mach 3! I have never been that happily high in my life!! Gotta get more!!
All right, cycle back to 2016... I would be less effusive about it now, having perhaps become more widely exposed to a wider array of bakkies than at that time. One thing I would mention... there was a ham radio operator around here by the call sign of KB3OM which he phonetificated "Kicked By 3 Old Mules". My son and i adapted this for our own nicotine-hit scale. Last winter, or 2014ish, we retreated to the garage for some Hyde Park... we're both weaklings in the nic dept... we rated Hyde Park at Kicked By 129 Old Mules. I was stoned senseless and he went home to rock back and forth on the shower floor for 3 or 4 hours. I wonder if it hits anyone else like that??? By the way, I smoke Royal Yacht and Deluxe Navy Flake and several others with alleged kicks with impunity. Maybe there IS a secret herbal essence extract executed on HP. Caveat Smokor! :)

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Haha Cosmic that is the perfect response. Thank you!
Jerwynn I seriously love your writing! Cracks me up, especially the hilarious image of your son cowering in the shower. A+

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Want to try some really weird stuff?
Check out SG Grousemoor Plug ... Lakelands combined with Lemon Grass. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.