anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Mike, if only I could afford that Scotch. Actually, over the last year or so my tastes have shifted more towards bourbon/rye than Scotch.

Seriously though, that is a jaw dropping price for a bottle of the good stuff. I've heard Pappy Van Winkle can fetch high prices but $54K is just taking the urine.

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: danimalia
Jun 9, 2018
England
"Last October, a single bottle of scotch shattered the record for most expensive wine or spirit ever sold at auction. The Macallan Fine and Rare 60-Year-Old fetched a staggering $1.9 million USD. Why so much? Well, the 1926 vintage malt was drawn from a legendary barrel, prized by collectors for its near-mystical characteristics. Just a year earlier, liquid matured in that same oak sold for $1.2 million at a London auction house. Since 2018, no less than six examples of that 1926 spirit have cleared the million dollar threshold."

And here's a picture of some guy in a monocle examining a bottle of this mega expensive whiskey.
Don't drop it mate?.

960x0.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
There is sadly much snobbery in the Scotch whisky world. So called 'single malt' is much revered by so called purists and those same 'purists' tend to look down on blended Scotch as though it was an inferior product which it is not.

What a lot of these guys don't realise is that single malt IS a blended whisky, it's just blended with other barrels from the same distillery. Blended Scotch is just the same though the producers use single malts from two or more distilleries.

In my years I have tasted some fantastic blended Scotch whiskies and some pretty mediocre single malts. Make of that what you will.

Regards,

Jay.?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
"Last October, a single bottle of scotch shattered the record for most expensive wine or spirit ever sold at auction. The Macallan Fine and Rare 60-Year-Old fetched a staggering $1.9 million USD. Why so much? Well, the 1926 vintage malt was drawn from a legendary barrel, prized by collectors for its near-mystical characteristics. Just a year earlier, liquid matured in that same oak sold for $1.2 million at a London auction house. Since 2018, no less than six examples of that 1926 spirit have cleared the million dollar threshold."

And here's a picture of some guy in a monocle examining a bottle of this mega expensive whiskey.
Don't drop it mate?.

View attachment 64177

Is that a Picasso on the label Chris?

Regards,

Jay.?

If that is the bottle I'm thinking of it is an ultra rare bottle of Macallan that the producer commissioned 2 artists to create the labels for, half by one and half by the other. I think it was 8 bottles per artist. So not only are they old and rare but they are also works of art. Of all bottles produced, one is known to have been drank, one was destroyed in an earthquake, and the rest are owned by undisclosed private collectors.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Some people are rich. Some people like scotch. Some people are rich AND like scotch.

If there is one thing that running a company has taught me (other than the fact that I am far less talented and far less smart than I once perceived) it's that your brain just thinks differently when you're dealing with higher numbers. It's all relative.

It's hard for us proletariats to see such things and not imagine how many African children could be fed for that sum, but the guy who bought that bottle has probably donated more to charitable causes this year than I've ever made in my life.

Everything seems to scale up and down as required by the holder. Up to and including scotch budgets, apparently.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"but the guy who bought that bottle has probably donated more to charitable causes this year than I've ever made in my life."

The use of the word 'probably' in that sentence has me scratching my head. Upon what evidence, no matter how small, did you come to that conclusion? 'Possibly' might have been more appropriate though still without evidence.

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.