PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
Hi Fellow Puffers:
I just came back from an oral cancer screening and the dentist who examined me determined that I do NOT have oral cancer. He inspected my mouth both with and without a Vizilite device and quickly pronounced me cancer free.
He thinks the white patches on my tongue that I described in previous posts were caused by me accidentally chewing on it (which is a bit confusing because I don't remember doing that).
I asked him if there's a safe way to smoke a pipe. He said the risk of mouth cancer is very low as long as I don't constantly hold the pipe in my mouth, something I don't do. Surprisingly, he also admitted to occasionally smoking cigars.
I paid out of pocket rather than using insurance so that I could make an appointment sooner. I was pleasantly surprised by the relatively low price of $40 but that's because a friend of mine who works with this dentist gave me a discount card. Without the card I would have paid $65.
Thank you to all of you who had kind words of support. However, I noticed some criticized me simply for bringing up the subject. So, for you critical dudes, I have a tip: When a man says he's afraid he might have cancer, the only appropriate response is to offer moral support. Doing anything else is callous and inconsiderate.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Congrats!! That is outstanding news. Glad to hear everything checked out ok for you. Now go get your pipe and get back to smoking and enjoying ! :puffpipe:

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Glad to hear the good news, Jazzy! It never hurts to check. At my 6 month checkup/cleanings the dental tech & the dentist give my mouth the once over for any suspicious signs. Happy puffin',
Dave

Dec 24, 2012
Congrats, that is fantastic news.
However, I noticed some criticized me simply for bringing up the subject.
Yeah, this place is full of uncaring, insensitive bastards. I love 'em all though. We can't all be Albert Schweitzer or Mother Teresa - and if we could be, those two wouldn't be famous.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Glad to hear you got a clean bill of health! I know sometimes we worry about our "hobby", and it's effect on our health, as that's all the tobacco pundits seem to talk about. I personally feel that used in moderation, smoking a pipe isn't a real big worry to me. It's good to be careful, and aware though, and I feel you did the right thing. So smile and carry on!

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Peck I didn't realize I was insensitive until you pointed it out how will I manage! Jazzlover glad your ok, and thanks for pointing out how we should respond in the future. I am relieved I won't need to think for myself. Does this mean your estate Dunhills are no longer clearance priced?

Aug 1, 2012
Glad you're alright. Been through the cancer battle with my favorite aunt, 2 more aunts, my grandmothers, my mother and my wife so I am glad of anybody who is spared it.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Jazz
Great news and I'm sure you are relieved
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm as sarcastic as anyone and that a good cut and crack makes me laugh.
Somehow, a person who is worried about cancer just doesn't seem funny or witty to me and wise cracks don't seem to fit the occasion
But, that's just me

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I'm glad it was worth it for you, I'm also a chronic tongue biter, I apparently bite so hard that I get these problems even through a mouthguard at night, just from the pressure and my teeth are so sharp, I get it good a few times during the day usually as well.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There are times, like these, that I simply do not know how to act properly. Would you mind if I drop you a line every now and then and ask for some guidance?
Oh, wait...you've already told me exactly how I should respond to you. Silly me.
Never mind.
(oh, and congrats on the clean bill of health. I told you that it might be syphilis).

Did you use to be a dog? Excuse me if I have you confused. I'm glad that it was just a tongue bite. I do that too. I swish with the hydrogen peroxide mouth wash and carry on.
Yeh, I love this forum, but you have to have thick skin. I've gotten my share of snarks here too, mostly my own fault though. But, I've come to enjoy the snarks as much as the useful stuff. It keeps life interesting. :puffy:

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
Glad ur ok, i dont think people criticized you for bringing up the topic. However self diagnosis via the internet might get you labeled the boy who cried syphilis =) so does this mean ur not gonna sell all ur pipes at a huge discount???

Status
Not open for further replies.