PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Walked around a couple of antique shops this afternoon and saw these plus they had one of the large Carter Hall tins with a bunch more of the bowls. Couldn't find the price on them and I couldn't get to the counter to ask so I may have to go back.

metalYelloBole_2503.jpgMetalYelloBole_2501.jpgMetalYelloBowl_2502.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Were these a knock-off on the Falcon design or did they come first, do you suppose? I think the "fish ribs" with little holes are an interesting approach to cooling the stem. I wonder how they work and if they work.

They are collector's items, distinct and unique of their kind. Nice catch, fish carcass and all. (Good image BarrelProof).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know there was at least one other maker of metal pipes along with Falcon and Yello-Bole. Maybe people better versed in metal pipes can recall who else made them. There may be several other brands.

I think it was a sort of craze after World War Ii when all kinds of military gear made out of various metals left that machinery and material left over after the war.

I believe that is how Grumman (spelling?) went from aircraft into making canoes. Those aluminum canoes were good paddling and durable for summer camp and resort fleets, and within bounds price wise. I believe they are still made, although the canoe company may have gotten spun off -- I don't know.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I know there was at least one other maker of metal pipes along with Falcon and Yello-Bole. Maybe people better versed in metal pipes can recall who else made them. There may be several other brands.

I think it was a sort of craze after World War Ii when all kinds of military gear made out of various metals left that machinery and material left over after the war.

I believe that is how Grumman (spelling?) went from aircraft into making canoes. Those aluminum canoes were good paddling and durable for summer camp and resort fleets, and within bounds price wise. I believe they are still made, although the canoe company may have gotten spun off -- I don't know.
A friend of mine collects Kirsten pipes, they were more common than Falcons in western Canada from what I can tell.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Looks like the same design as my Harley-Davidson fins for increasing surface area for cooling.

Let us know if the design works for a cool smoke. Ugly, but if its good in bed...Ahem...a good smoker, I would smoke it at home in private. :rolleyes:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
A friend of mine collects Kirsten pipes, they were more common than Falcons in western Canada from what I can tell.

I have a Kirsten from the early 1950's. I asked the company if there was a way to date it and was told mine is a "transition pipe" made sometime between 1950 and 1956. With the bowls I have, it is a decent smoker when I know I only have about 30 minutes.

I research Dr. Frederick Kirsten who invented and patented the Kirsten Pipes among other, more important inventions. He is credited with inventing the first working wind tunnel at the University of Washington in 1936 and the cycloidal propeller.

One of the interesting debates I've seen is which came first, the Kirsten or the Falcon. It seems they were both patented in 1936. The Falcon had a very limited production until 1949 when George Hunt took over production and marketing.

I think, the reason Falcon is better known and more widely produced was because the Kirsten pipe wasn't a focal point for Dr. Kirsten. New Kirsten pipes are still being produced but they have a very small footprint in the pipe world.

Being produced in Seattle, I'm not surprised that they were more common in western Canada.

Reactions: canucklehead

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Back when I owner and operated a pipe shop I took on the Kirsten line. I decided to give one a try and sorry to say that was one lousy smoking pipe. Never did try a Falcon. Both pipes go against my belief that you don't want the smoke to come in contact with metal. I don't know about others, but I can taste the aluminum. puffy