PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
My vote would be for the Peterson if you are picking just from those two. If ordering online, make sure the draft hole is flush with the bottom of the bowl and that it will pass a pipe cleaner. Also make sure the stem is flush with the shank.

wolfshade

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
Portugal
Personally I'd go with the Nordig as I do not like the Peterson Dracula colours too much, still I'd look around for something more unique for such a price tag. I'd probably follow BriarBlues advice here.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Thank you all for the great advice. I did end up buying the Peterson Dracula last night but I am hearing what you are saying BriarBlues and I'll have to take a look for the next pipe in the estate sections. Though, that being said, I know this is probably going to open up a whole 'NOTHER can of worms BUT! What is so great about a pre-smoked Dunhill? From my understanding they are machine made nowadays so what puts it above something that is hand carved like a Nording Freehand?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
It's obvious I'm a fan of Peterson, but I am not blind to their problems; if you have the dough, research a bit more and maybe consider an estate. My best pipe is an estate Ashton, bar none, and I got it for a great price at SP. But if it's really down to the Drac and the Nording churchwarden, well, churchwardens can be awkward at times and as someone above said, you'll get more use out of the Peterson.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Thank you once again BriarBlues. I do appreciate the schooling, especially with my rather new status. I agree that what you say makes sense however I wasnt referring to the whole of the Nording Series but specifically to the Freehand pipes but my information may be in error regardless! I already bookmarked this thread so that I can use your (and quite a few others on here) recommendations for pipes to look at next and the sites at which to view them! Thank you once again for all of the newfound knowledge that has been laid at my feet.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I am sure you will like the Drac; I picked up another yesterday. Just bear with a possible lengthy time to break in--probably because of that darn shiny coat they put on, but that will wear off rapidly--and you will enjoy your Drac.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a saga! Hope the Drac works out well for you. I like my five Petes a lot. No Dracs, but all

smoke well and are pleasing to look at.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I would have voted for the Peterson purely on the fact that I don't like churchwardens. I think most of them are dorky looking and they just seem cumbersome. Of course this is just one man's opinion.
Enjoy your new pipe!

Aug 14, 2012
I pretty much agree with Briarblues, except I love the way Dunhills smoke, smooth Dunhills, not blasted except the County. The best are the Root Briars, then the Amber Roots, then the Bruyere, then the Chestnut.All of them smoke better than Petes, to my taste. But if you get a really good Peterson and are ready for a lengthy breakin, it also can give a great smoke. The petes are inconsistent though, the Dunhills very consistent.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
+1 BriarBlues.
If you were to go Peterson I'd suggest getting a Spigot or something around that same price range. Seem to have better quality than the cheap Petes. Although at that price you should be able to find a great estate.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Just look at this beautiful pre republic Pete.
http://www.briarblues.com/gul101.htm
gul101a.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.