PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianslomo

Lurker
Jun 3, 2019
In my country, there are so many warning stickers covering up the tobacco packaging. Add the stamps, tags and other stickers, they end up covering more than half of the pack. To cut a long story short, instead of getting a MacBaren Original pipe tobacco, I came home with a MacBaren Original Rolling Tobacco. I can't exchange it anymore, never used it. Should I just chailk it up to experience (or lack thereof) and move on, or could I still smoke it or do something with it?

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
If it does not bother you, i say smoke it. There are several members here who smoke RYO in their pipes from time to time.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Well naturally you should at least try it. With companies like Mac Baren or Stokkebye, I'm given to understand that the only distinction is the cut of the tobacco. RYO stuff will be a fine shag, so you'll have to pack it tighter.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Easy, smoke it. Jar it and try it by itself, but also mix it with other blends from time to time. Sometimes these home mixes done on inspiration are quite good. Or better. All we're talking about here is the cut, and once you mix it, it's just a condiment tobacco and a finer cut works well. Some of the Virginia-rich RYO bag tobaccos sweeten up nicely.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Question: Are the roll-your-own tobaccos as heavily doped with saltpeter as factory-made cigarettes?
Haven't the foggiest, but I'm willing to bet that brands which also do true pipe tobacco are not in the same league as brands which produce only for RYO.
For example, my local tobacconist has some Stokkebye products in both 'cigarette cut' and 'pipe cut'. I'm positive it's the exact same tobacco either way. I wouldn't be so sure about other brands.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Personally I wouldn't enjoy it as much. You can always donate it to someone who may be in need and would appreciate it as a luxury. Just a thought.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have not done RYO in decades but, European RYO (Gauloises, Drum, et al) did not contain saltpeter like American cigarette tobacco. If you put a European RYO down it would go out, while the US tobacco would keep on burning. Maybe times have changed?

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
To my knowledge MacBaren,Stokkebye, etc are the same tobaccos just different cuts. Smoke it Brother! It's all in the pack Jack... :puffy:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I haven't had the MacBaren, but the Stokkebye RYO tobaccos are outstanding. The Amsterdam Shag I would absolutely smoke in a pipe (if I found myself in your circumstances.) Does it state what kind of tobaccos it's made of?

adrianslomo

Lurker
Jun 3, 2019
@jpmcwjr I'm alive, no need for the missus to break out the champagne just yet!
Sorry it took a while to get around to testing, but I did just a few minutes ago. As a disclaimer, I am new to piping and cannot make a proper review since this is only the 3rd type of tobacco I've ever tried.
I checked the label and found that the MacBaren Original Choice #01 RYO I purchased is made of "Silk cut Virginia, Burley and Orient tobaccos with a sweet vanilla and caramel flavour." The first thing I noticed was, of course, the cut is so much finer than the usual pipe tobaccos I use. I packed it a bit looser since it has a tendency to clump together at the onset. I picked it apart a bit to make sure air flows through the pipe.
I noticed a bit more tongue-bite, but apart from that, I did not notice any drastic difference with my other blends. The pipe got hot at the same level, similar level of light-headedness after my usual bowls. It burned through the bowl nicely, I did not need to relight after the initial lighting, which was not the case with the others. The residue was a very fine ash and the pipe cleaner came out with much the same discoloration as the usual.
As pointed out by a few of you, it seems that the only difference with MacBaren's RYO is with the cut. It has a milder flavor than the Captain Black Cherry and Borkum Riff Honey and Orange in my limited arsenal. I will keep a closer watch on the RYO but I think I won't have any problem including it in my rotation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Virginia, burley and oriental make it a standard pipe blend, though the cut is finer. A dash of unflavored black Cavendish would give it a little more smoke volume, but it should be fine on its own.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
OK, nice. That sounds like a fairly standard (and high quality) Turkish style cigarette blend, but with an added aromatic topping. The RYOs we get here in the States seem to be absent those flavorings, but I see they're more common in Europe. Definitely sounds like a worthy smoke if the flavorings are to your liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.