I Bought A Charatan’s Make Pipe, What Exactly Do I Have?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I just received a pipe in the mail today, an old Charatan’s Make. I have tried to research this pipe, but I’m not finding a lot of information. It has the Lane mark on it, but has a regular saddle stem. The number 3 is stamped, but no X to indicate the regular saddle. Is the 3 a size? I couldn’t find anything about a shape with that number. The pipe is about 5” long and and the bowl is 2” tall.

I like the look of the pipe and it is lightweight. I’m happy with my purchase even if I did overpay a bit, but mostly I’m looking for help in identifying the pipe and maybe getting an idea of when it was made. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I appreciate the help. I had read that same info before, but this one doesn’t have an x after the number since it is a saddle that is not double comfort. In that period I would think it should, but of course I don’t really know. I’m still wondering what the three is, since I couldn’t find any shape or anything that was a 3 in the Charatan’s line. If anyone else has any help, I would appreciate it!

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
In my opinion that’s a Ruben era pipe. I can some what date it from 55- 60. Lane was importing pipes in 55. These are stamped with the L. These are not considered Lane era pipes. The saddle stem with no X . As well as the way the CP is mate make me believe its of this time frame. I believe pipepedia does a section on early imported lane pipes from before 1960

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I own two unsmoked, so NOS , Charatan Perfection pipes in their original green boxes, ancient UK price tag still attached. GBP 28,50 and GBP 32,50 .
Purchased them from a most congenial UK lady tobacconist who went into retirement :)
Both show a nr. 1 and 2 on the right side of the shank. I was given to understand these were price category nrs.
on the lower graded pipes. One is a longer shanked billiard, one a liverpool showing a wonderful bowl with a somewhat pronounced heel. Both are accomodated with double comfort stems , show excellent grain and a micron thin bowl coating.
As Al said; you'll grab from my dead, cold hands and then I will come haunting you.

Reactions: Ryan and ChuckMijo

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
@Ryan that’s a beautiful pipe, in fantastic condition! Ruben era pipes, especially it the condition of yours don’t come up for sale often. You have a real gem! Beautiful piece of old Britt wood.

Reactions: Ryan

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
The pipe is so light and the stem seems smallish (in a good way), it is like it is hardly even there when you smoke out of it. I wish I could find another dozen. I’m really happy with it.

Reactions: orlandofurioso