PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Besides being in the throes of Barling madness, I had to go and buy a Willmer AAA Straight Grain. Out of every pipe in my collection, there is not a better piece of wood than my other AAA Willmer. I can smoke it like madman and it does not get too hot. Anything I put into it smokes great. It is a nice group 5-6 and I will dedicate it to aromatics. I bought this one from Smokingpipes.com and it was a great deal. I once had 2 Willmers but sold my other one to Roth. He wanted one and at the time it was too large for my flakes, again the wood was amazing.

004-002-10637_1_zps0q3i3xy1.jpg

004-002-10637_zpsy3reledz.jpg

004-002-10637_2_zpseqfjwabq.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ha! That's some amazing shaping, the diamond shank with flat top and wide-fanned Dublin bowl, really original. Really eye-catching.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Great addition... I saw it on Smokingpipes yesterday and almost pulled the trigger myself. Oh well,I can now add it to that list of pipes I wish I hadn't hesitated on.
I bet it will smoke like a dream. :puffy:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Harris, nice when a pipe looks that great and smokes even better!!!GOOD score Bro...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys. I smoked it for the first time yesterday and it smoked even better than the Willmer I have. The stem was open more and that allowed for better air flow. The wood is incredible like my other. The AAA Straight Grains have some of the best wood I have ever owned. I suggest to anyone looking for a really great pipe for not so much money, give the Willmer a try.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks Al, it really does fit me. I am smoking it again today with some Esoterica Blackpool. It has a nice conical bowl that is wide enough for the aromatics to open up. I keep looking for more of these to buy but prices are stupid. There is a guy on Ebay named Ben who has probably 5 or so AAA's and he wants stupid money for for them. I have seen them on the site for over 2 years.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I only ever owned one Willmer Pipe and sadly I lost it long ago when my then girlfriend trashed my possessions when we split.

I miss that pipe.
Out of every pipe in my collection, there is not a better piece of wood than my other AAA Willmer.
Sooo am I to understand you are placing Willmer above your Rad Davis pipes? :?:

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
AAA was the very top grade for many years. Towards the end, Willmer went through grading inflation. I've seen AAAA's and once a "Presentation" AAAA (which wasn't noticeably better than my older AAA).
Doc

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
keith,
Sooo am I to understand you are placing Willmer above your Rad Davis pipes?
Not the pipe itself, but the wood that is used is as good as anything I have ever owned. Rad's stems are better and make the smoking experience better for me but not by that much. Most Willmers are on the larger size group 5 and above. I have now begun to cellar and smoke some aromatics and other cuts besides flakes so I need pipes that will make these types of blends smoke better. The 2 Willmers I have are both a group 6 and really smoke these aromatics extremely well.
The AAAA was used towards the last few years of their production and there were not very many made. I think in the years I have been looking at them, I might have seen 2 or 3 AAAA's.
Yesterday I cut a deal for 13 Willmers, 8 AAA's, 4 AA's and one other. The seller from ebay is a guy named Ben and I have been watching his Willmers for over a year. Not once have I ever seen him list a AAAA and he would have been the guy to have one since he had so many in his inventory. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
beef, that is a beauty, great grain and I love the shape. Mine barely get warm while smoking, how about yours? Do you have any idea how to date these things?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Harris-

Thanks! It's a great smoker. You are right about them barely getting warm- mine is the same. I can't help much on dating these pipes. From what I'm hearing, mine is a later one, towards the end of their run. Looking forward to seeing the pipes you're getting from Ben....... 13 at once?!?!................Yea Brother, you got PAD BAD!!!...... :laughat:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Those are really nice and the testimonial on the smoking qualities from you two is enough for me!
I've been eyeing this one but couldn't decide whether to grab it ... is $140ish a good price?
pm-pep2347.png

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never bought that many pipes at once but I couldn't help myself when he offered. I had inquired about one and ended up with 13, still have no idea how that happened. lol
I am surprised there is so little info out there on a company that had been in business for over 60 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.